cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

logged into webmail but unable to connect to server

Andrewdh

logged into webmail but unable to connect to server

i keep recieving e-mails from plusnet saying that my mailbox is nearly full to capacity of 1gb, and that i should log in to webmail. When i login, i get the spinning icon and then after a few minutes a message ` SERVER ERROR ! ( INTERNAL SERVER ERROR ), how can i clear old e-mails if there is a server error ? also the email states that my emails will be archieved, what does this mean ? will i be able to access these if i need too ?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance

Andrew

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: logged into webmail but unable to connect to server

@Andrewdh Welcome to the forums. Do you access your email only by webmail, or via another client? If via webmail only, try selecting the 'Basic webmail option before logging in.

If your emails get archived, you will find they disappear from your webmail, but should get a final message before this occurs.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Andrew, I'm really sorry to see you're having issues managing your mailbox via webmail.

If you haven't already I'd recommend setting your emails up via an email client as things should be better in this way.

If you're unsure how, we've got some good guides Here. Let us know if you need further help.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Gandalf I was going to suggest that, but I've found it useful to gauge a users understanding first. 😉

John
Technomage

I’m receiving the same emails, have my iOS/iPadOS email clients set up, and receiving the same error msgs when trying to tidy up my Plusnet email. I have the same issues nearly every year, and they never seem to get fixed. The Plusnet email backend systems seem [-Censored-].

Michael

Andrewdh

Thank you for your reply, i have managed to get in to my e-mails, and have started to clear them, i receive e-mail om my ipad and iphone, as do my wife with her personal plusnet e-mail address, i didn`t realise that e-mails were being stored on webmail, as we both clear mail regularly on our devises. is there any way of `switching off ` webmail so we only get mail on our devices ? 

Thank you 

Andrew  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to me Andrew.

I'm afraid it's not possible to switch off webmail as your mail clients would pull the emails from there. 

Do you have your emails setup as POP3 or IMAP? If it's IMAP, when you delete your mail from your devices, this should automatically be removed from webmail, but if you're using POP3 then you can set your devices to automatically delete mail from webmail/the server after x number of days.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@Andrewdh wrote:

Thank you for your reply, i have managed to get in to my e-mails, and have started to clear them, i receive e-mail om my ipad and iphone, as do my wife with her personal plusnet e-mail address, i didn`t realise that e-mails were being stored on webmail, as we both clear mail regularly on our devises. is there any way of `switching off ` webmail so we only get mail on our devices ? 

They are not stored on webmail, quite as you put it.

Your emails are stored on the IMAP email server - webmail is an IMAP mail client.  Webmail and your devices are looking at the same mailbox content, however if your devices are configured for POP3 connection and have LEAVE ON SERVER set to forever, then your are not using POP3 in the manner it is intended to work.  When you delete emails you are only deleting the local COPY of the email.

You should do (check) the following as applicable...

1. If you are using a POP3 connection on your devices, change the LEAVE ON SERVER setting to never or a short time - or (possibly better if you want to access the mailbox on different devices) set up the mailbox accounts up as IMAP anew (you cannot change the existing settings) - ask for guidance if you need it
  2. If you are using an IMAP connection on your devices, check that the DELETED ITEMS folder is mapped to the IMAP server folder ... AND make sure that you have emptied the deleted items folder
  3. If you are using IMAP check the SENT ITEMS folder - many people forget that their sent items (and the content of other folders) all count to the storage size ... which is soon eaten up if email is used to share photographs
  4. You refer to the use of personal email addresses ... check the default mailbox on the account to where all service notice emails are sent ... some users never look at this mailbox

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.