Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emails won't download

Meerkat41
Hooked

emails won't download

Hi there,

Can someone please explain why my emails in eM client won't download? The titles show up in the Inbox but when I click on them to read nothing appears. I can, however, read them in Plusnet webmail. Any guidance would be most appreciated.

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: emails won't download

Thanks for your post @Meerkat41

I'm sorry to see you're unable to download your emails. 

Do you have your emails setup on any other devices you can use to check if the issue lies with eM Client?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Meerkat41
Hooked

Hi Gandalf,

No, afraid not. Even now I'm receiving notification of incoming emails, including advice of your post but nothing is being downloaded. Everything was fine as of yesterday, I think, but I now have about 25 emails I can only read by logging into Plusnet webmail. Support and information from eM client is not the best and I have failed to find any possible cause of this problem.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

See "WHY CAN'T I SEE MY MESSAGES RIGHT AFTER I OPEN EM CLIENT?" here eM Client - Email Client and Calendar Software for Windows and Mac

"For IMAP accounts eM Client by default only downloads the headers of incoming messages and the body content is downloaded once you open the message's details."

That somewhat suggests that what you are seeing is how eM is designed to work.  You might want to consider using a different email client.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Meerkat41
Hooked

Hello Townman,

Having read in eM client's FAQ the information you referred to I'm afraid I am none the wiser. Their suggestion to 'Download messages for offline use' (whatever that means) didn't appear possible as I couldn't find anything in either Inbox folder, Accounts or Settings that would allow me to make any changes. If I'm understanding this statement... "For IMAP accounts eM Client by default only downloads the headers of incoming messages and the body content is downloaded once you open the message's details."....correctly, it seems that this has always been the case without any problem. I open eM client, click on inbox and the particular email header I wish to read and the email opens.....but not now! At eighty years of age I'm beginning to believe this is all a bit beyond me but I can't understand why everything was fine a day or two ago, and has been for ages, apart from from the recent Plusnet hiccup, with no changes I've made that I'm aware of. You may be right in suggesting I consider an alternative to eM client which was only chosen for its simplicity.

Meerkat41
Hooked

Amazingly my emails have now resurfaced, have no idea who or what caused the problem but it appears to have been resolved. My thanks go to Gandalf and Townman and I'm happy to acknowledge their endeavour to assist.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @Meerkat41

Awesome, I'm glad to see this is sorted now though by itself. 

Let us know if you have further issues or there's anything else you'd need help with. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet