Did you mean: 

email settings for iphone

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: email settings for iphone

Quote from: Peter
Ah yes.  If you're connected on the Orange network you'd need to send out email from the orange SMTP servers rather than ours.  You'll have no problem collecting email from mail.plus.net via POP3 or IMAP though.
James overlooked that in his tutorial didn't he?  Anyone fancy editing the article over at the Community Library?  http://community.plus.net/library/email/setting-up-plusnet-email-on-an-iphone/

Peter,
This is not entirely true - PN's relay can be used if configured correctly.  James' tutorial is a good start but it does not describe the settings required... after everthing has failed.
Ok, now for some help... I've have a few issues getting my iPhone working (on the Orange network) to the PN mail service... here's a list of settings that might help others... and provide input to an article for the library.
Settings > Mail, Contacts, Calendars
Select mail account (I'm assuming that you've followed James' notes and then got stuck so that there is an entry there to edit)
Name: email address display - whatever you want to be known as
Address: the email address
Description: defaults to address
Incoming mail server
Host name: imap.plus.net (or mail.plus.net for POP3) - note once this option is chosen when you create the account (on the iPhone) I do not think you can change it!
User Name: your PN account_name (or account_name+mailbox_name if not the default one)
Password: mailbox password
Outgoing mail server
Tap the >
Primary server
Tap the >
Host Name: relay.plus.net
User name: as above
Password: as above
Use SSL: OFF
Authentication
Tap the >
Select "Password"
Tap the back arrow "relay.plus.net"
Server Port: 25
Tap the back arrow "SMTP"
NB: if you have working "Other SMTP Servers" you can enable them for "this" email account
Tap the back arrow "yourmail@yourdomain.com"

Advanced
Tap the >
If IMAP then (if listed) associate the iPhone folders with the email server folders
Deleted messages - set as preferred
Incoming settings
Use SSL: Off
Authentication: "Password"
Server Port: 143 (IMAP)
Exit out of settings.
Try sending and recieving again.
"Cannot send email - the server rejected one of the recipient's email addresses"

Is more than likely a lie!!  The truth is that the configuration to the relay server is incorrect - generally you have not got the secure access set up correctly - and is really a 550 relay not permitted SMTP error.
On the other hand SMTP:username@relay.plus.net user name / password invalid error - when you know them to be correct - might be the same fault I had on one of my PN accounts... I could receive mail OK, but could not send via the relay server on the catch all mailbox credentials, though a "secondary" mail box ID and password worked OK.  A ticket [see below] raised with PN and a lot of persistence eventually delivered a fix.
The agent 'refreshed' the email settigns on your account as can be seen in Ticket: 30938450.
This essentially rebuilds the relationships between your account type, the email settings GUI in the Member Centre, our mail data base and our authentication database. The SMTP auth flag must have become misaligned on the account and the agent's actions remedied this.
Hope that helps.
Kind regards,
Bob Pullen

After the initial teething problems were fixed, I've found email on the iPhone a real joy, so do not give up!!  Hope that this helps.
Good Luck & Regards,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

masplin

Hi
masplin

Hi
I just got an iphone with vodafone and being having simialr problems not being able to send email.  Great that you guys seem to have a fix, but before I try it could I ask about IMAP vs POP3 so I go the right route?  I use Outlook at home currently confgured with a POP3 account.  It seems I should be able to get my iphone to work using the mail.plus.net settings.  As I understand it this means the iphone, pc and server are sort of independent and if I delete and email it isn't deleted elsewhere.
If I create an IMAP account in iphone and PC using imap.plus.net am I correct in thinking the only difference is that the iphone,pc and server will now be synced and if I delete on one device it will delete stuff from the other device or have I misunderstood?
IfI create an IMAP account in Outlook will this affect emails I already have in Outlook.  I share my outlook with my wife and she won't be a happy if i annihilate her emails!!!
Appreciate any advice before I do anything i regret!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Masplin,
Yes - multiple clients on to the same mail box is a real problem, one not solved by technology alone.  You need a plan and follow it strictly!  Where do I send email from to keep all sent mail in my prime store?  Where do I delete email from and when?
Without these considerations your sent mail will be only on the device you sent it from.  The latest inbound mail will only be on the last device that "read" mail from the server.  No client will have all sent and all received emal.  You need an approach so that inbound mail remains on the server so that any client gets to see all mail received since it last synch'd.  Otherwise if, for example, your wife is at home with the computer switched on using POP3 (without leave mail on server set)  every time it checks mail (every 30mins say) it will wipe the PN email server clean.  Consequently when at work you use your shiny new toy to read your email, you'll find none!  Your sent mail will equally dispersed.
The following points might be helpful to you.
1. POP3 can be configured to either remove (default) email from the server or to leave it there
2. IMAP essentially reflects the server's folders, so if you delete something on your IMAP client, it is moved to the trash folder both on your client and your server - other IMAP clients can synch to this change
3. You need to think about how to manage sent mail - with POP3 clients the sent mail is only present on the sending client.  If you use IMAP clients every where then the sent mail will appear in the server's sent mail folder and thus be available to all clients
First I'd recommend setting up a separate PN email account for your wife (or yourself) - if she only uses mail on the main computer, this will simplify things for you.  You can configure outlook to have separate profiles - one for you and one for your wife, each using different PN email accounts.  See help on setting up additional mailboxes.
If you take the apporach of using the PN mail server & IMAP clients to keep everything in sync, you need to consider the storage limits on your PN email service and think about how to periodically archive your email to a main computer.
HTH

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

masplin

Hi townman
Well good news is your settings have got my email working on my iphone using POP3.  I have created seperate mailboxes on PN for each of us and as iphne is too dumb to be able to filter what it receives.
Apart froim space consiereations is the other downside of IMAP that if you are out of range of a conenction you can't see any emails i.e. acts a bit like a web based email? so on an aeroplane I can't while away the time replying to emails and sending thme whne I get off?
Thanks
Mike
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mike,
IMAP / POP3 is only the connection method between the email client and the email server.
What you "see" on the iPhone will be all mail available at the time you last sync'd (by the way I recommend manual sync to conserve battery life and bandwidth).  The iPhone is not providing a live connection to the email server as is the case with webmail.  The ability to compose off line is a function solely of the client.  I use IMAP on my iPhone and have no problems composing emails where there's no WiFI or phone network.  The emails simply sit in the outbox.
BTW: You'll not be able to use the iPhone on an aircraft even in aircraft mode.
Regards,
Kevin

masplin

Brilliant.  So in aircraft mode you can't compose emails and save to outbox?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Mike,
Sorry I think you missed the point here - what you want to do WILL WORK in aircraft mode as far as the iPhone is concerned: its the cabin crew who will stop you using the iPhone during the flight.  Regulations totally prohibit the use of phones in any mode on board aircraft.
In flight mode, you can read what you previously sync'd, reply to them and create new emails.  They sit in the outbox and you'll get a message to say they have not been sent.  Once out of flight mode and connected by one means or another to the internet, the emails are sent, just as my email to you has just been despatched. (Assuming I guessed your address right.)
Cheers,
Kevin

gingerland

Thanks for the info in this post chaps, all works, sending, receiving, however, I have one problem remaining.I have set up the account on my iphone as IMAP.
When I try to delete mails from my inbox, I receive the error message "Unable to remove message", "The message could not be moved to the mailbox trash".
Do you have any ideas how this could be sorted?
Much appreciated
Mike
Albansandrew

Hi, I'm having a similar issue, this time with an iphone 3GS over Vodafone.
Using James' helpful iphone guide, I can now send email just fine, but can't receive it. I'm wondering if it's because the email account I'm trying to get mail from is on a domain I host with Plusnet and that means I need to configure things differently?
The domain is configured to use POP3 for email, I'm trying to retrieve email using mail.plus.net, with user name in the "accountname+mailboxname" format and password specific to that mailbox name.  In the POP account information I used the email address for the hosted domain - is that maybe the issue and I should be using the plusnet email address?
Any help gratefully received - I've spent hours messing about with this!!
Andrew_B
Grafter

Albansandrew: assuming the domain you're talking about is the one hosted on your account, the setup you describe is exactly what you need to do.
Is it giving you an error message?
Albansandrew

The phone tries to connect for a few minutes then I get the error msg - Cannot Get Mail  - The connection to the mail server "mail.plus.net" failed. I get the same message whether I try to connect over my home WiFi with 3G turned off, or if I turn Wifi off and try to connect via 3G. I double/triple(!) checked my user name and password settings by logging into webmail, and all seems to be fine with them..
Andrew_B
Grafter

That's a strange one, I don't own an iPhone so I can't test this myself..
If you use the plusnet email address instead, does that work?
Albansandrew

Just tried that - still the same error msg. Sad
Albansandrew

SORTED!! I deleted the entire account and started from scratch. This cleared the issue. Looking back over other posts I think the issue was that I think when the account was originally configured (automatically by iTunes) it configured it as an IMAP account. Although you can change the server name etc. within the  account settings, I  think the iPhone still defaults back to treating the account as whatever it was originally set up as. If you delete the account and start form scratch you get a specific selection between POP and IMAP, and I reckon that's what the issue was! Thanks for your help - at least you gave me the confidence that all other settings were correct such that I just deleted the whole thing and started again!