cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

alternative email providers

breslaw
Rising Star

alternative email providers

Some of the contributions to this forum during the current email outage at Plusnet have suggested that PN is gradually withdrawing from providing an email service. Some contributors have said if that were the case they would leave PN.

I wonder if we could start a conversation here about alternative email providers. I don't mean to be negative about PN, but if it is the case that they are giving up on email, then I think we should have the opportunity to plan our exits in the same timeframe that they're planning theirs. It would be good to have a destination in mind for when PN decide that they no longer need my custom.

I'd like to avoid Google, Microsoft and Yahoo. An additional nice-to-have would be a single provider of landline, broadband and email services.

I'd welcome polite and experience-based suggestions.

34 REPLIES 34
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Re: alternative email providers

Hi @breslaw 

with regards to

I'd like to avoid Google, Microsoft and Yahoo. An additional nice-to-have would be a single provider of landline, broadband and email services.

Locking your email to your chosen ISP could result in you been tied to that ISP. So if you change ISP you then have to advise everyone of your change of address. A bit like moving home.

Dan

MFredericks
Dabbler

I'd suggest a number of the traditional offerings for having Broadband, landline and Email services have disappeared and very few will offer you email as part of taking Broadband these days. It used to be something everyone did - but most people now have email with one of the big players and hence it's not something that people really need if they are new to an Internet Provider. I am sure someone will point out some Internet providers that do offer email, but there won't be many... a simple Google search for the best free email services doesn't list any that are provided by an ISP...

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

ISPs have never, in my 30+ years on the web, offered an email service unless you take out a BB/Phone service with them. Some do allow you to retain the mail element if you leave, though.

John
MFredericks
Dabbler

I didn't mean an isolated email service provided by an ISP... I meant that none of the free email services provided by an ISP are rated highly (as in essence the email services provided by an ISP are free)... hopefully that now makes sense.

jab1
Legend

Yep, makes sense, but I've never had any major issues with the mail services of any ISP I have been with, but there again, they have always been client-based - I neither like nor trust webmail.

John
bluewhale
Rising Star

you could look at buying a domain, they often come with free email

breslaw
Rising Star

I should have added that I have my own domain name and never use webmail.

jab1
Legend

In that case, does your domain host have an email option?

John
breslaw
Rising Star

Yes, but I've no idea about its reliability.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

jab1
Legend

@breslaw I understand. Can you not check - Google (or your preferred search engine) should be able to point you in the correct destination?

John
bluewhale
Rising Star

@breslaw so who is the provider, maybe peeps on here can say

breslaw
Rising Star

@bluewhale:  so who is the provider, maybe peeps on here can say

As defenders of PN's omnishambles would say if anyone asks what went wrong: Sorry mate, commercial confidentiality 😉

JamesE
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I have an account with gmx but never really use it. I think the time has come to "move house" and use it as this Plusnet b******s is beyond the pale. I have been using Thunderbird for access and it has been better than their own web mail but not, of course, this time. I do have a look at my gmx from time to time and access is always instant and they do have lots of facilities. I would leave Plusnet, but I have a good deal from them, including BT Sport on satellite which, unfortunately, is necessary for Champions League, etc..

Stegs_W
Hooked

I had similar thoughts about email support and knowledge within PN – e.g. the fact that they no longer offer domain hosting to new customers and it is treated as a legacy system. I therefore decided to jump before any issues arose.

I think it’s a good idea to decouple domain hosting and email from your ISP. This gives the flexibility to switch either service without affecting the other.

I now use Fasthosts as the registrar of my domain and Zoho Mail for email, with PN staying as my ISP. I have been using them for over a year with no issues. Zoho does provide a limited free service, so you can try it out to see if it suits. 

I am a low level user of email, so my experience does not represent any kind of proper workout of their service.

So I am no in a position where I can independently switch providers for domain, email and broadband.