cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where are my emails to domain name address?

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Where are my emails to domain name address?

@Minesapint wrote:

As I said, the mail actually comes from a Freenetname server.

Just trying to sort out if there is a way to see it on the Plusnet server.

Seems to me that there are two systems there. One is a sort of legacy system for old Freenetname customers.

When you access your Freenetname emails using the email program on your computer you configured it to go to incoming email server mail.freenetname.co.uk and connect on port 143 (for IMAP). You supplied a username and password for this  As you mentioned the same is true for access to your domain email, it's just in another mailbox which you log into with a different username and password.

At one time you could also use Madasafish/Freenetname webmail to access these mailboxes. Note that webmail here is a program just like the one on your own computer, it simply runs on a webserver (note not an email server) and displays its output in a browser. Internally it has been configured to go to the incoming mail server appropriate for your username and thereafter handles email messages in a manner similar to when you use your own email program.

Unfortunately MAAF webmail had to be withdrawn from service but Plusnet configured the Plusnet webmail program to replace it. Given equivalent login information (account or domain email addresses and passwords) it can access your Freenetname and domain mailboxes and provide an equivalent service.

Given the correct login information this should work, but identifying the correct information from the hints provided by Plusnet staff seems problematical. Isn't it the same as the information you configured in your email program?

My thoughts are to try using telnet as explained in post https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-change-from-pop-to-Imap/m-p/1543849#M23653. The inputs (and responses) shown there are basic IMAP commands. If telnet login is successful the same login information should work in webmail.

David
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Is the Freenetname domain the default address or an additional mailbox? You should be able to tell by browsing to the domain management section of the Madasafish website (after logging in). If it's an additional mailbox then the password is not necessarily the same as either the Plusnet or Freenetname one. It could be something else.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Minesapint
Pro

Thanks all for the help

I've been at this for a while now, and I've given up for tonight.

As you rightly say, if I use the freenetname email and PW, I can access it through Plusnet webmail.

So far so good.

However while the mail client appears to access "an" email server at Plusnet. using the same login details.

And "mail.plus.net" as the server. (Is that the right server?)

It appears to be only picking up some of the mails that appear in webmail.

So it's partly solved, in that I can see the mails on webmail, but can't pick them up with another client.

I've also realised that there are more email settings available from "my account". Fairly steep learning curve this!

I'll keep on trying, but I've gone back to the known to be working setup for the moment.

All further ideas gratefully accepted. I'll update this when I've had more time to fiddle!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

From a client, the server address for the Freenetname domain would be mail.freenetname.co.uk

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵