Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send emails via EE connection

FIXED
Raggy
Fixes: 1

Unable to send emails via EE connection

I have a free force9 email account which i use for everything but i also have a paid account for my broadband. I can set up my phone (on EE) to collect my email when away from home wifi but cant get it to send email. I understand i cant do it with the free account so have tried to set up the paid force9 account to act as the relay. I have set phine to authenticate, added account credentials, no ssl etc! used relay.force9.net and tried ports 25 and 587 without success. Any help appreciated how i should be able to send mail via my paid for account.

9 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 55

Re: Unable to send emails via EE connection

Have you set up an email address in the Member Centre of your paid for Force9 broadband account? After set up have you logged into webmail at https://webmail.plus.net and sent a message to create its directory structure. Login username will be your broadband accountname. The password is the one which goes with this and you need to choose Force9 in the Server select box.

Once you've confirmed this works with webmail the same username and password should work for sending via relay.force9.net using port 587. SSL should be none. At one time EE blocked use of external SMTP relays over port 25, but I don't think that is now the case. So port 25 should also work though I suggest using port 587.

Edit: change \\ to // in webmail link. Embarrassed

David
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 383

Hi there. I've checked your account and things look OK from this side.

Are you trying to setup your default mailbox or additional mailbox on your phone?

For a default the username would be your account username, for the additional it would be in the format of username+mailbox

Let us know how you get on.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Raggy

I have checked my settings and have set the account as you said but it still throws up a certificate error, not able to verify account when trying to send email via the smtp mailbox I have created (as suggested by another forum user). The inbox is setup via my free [Removed] account but as I want to send emails I need to use my paid [Removed]account...but it does not seem to want to work.

Moderator's note by Adie (Dvorak) removed two account names as it's a public forum

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Can you send me a PM with a screenshot of the settings you're using?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Raggy

Fix

Many thanks to Gandalf. My issue is now solved as I had to delete and then recreate the mail box on my phone and all worked straight away. Must have been some setting still held from my previous mail relay account I had set up.

Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 65

Thanks for letting us know Raggy, that's really good to see. 

Adam

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 22

Raggy

No, HTC android, deleting the mail account then recreating it solved it for me straight away.
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Woo-hoo. When all else fails that's usually sure way of fixing these kind of problems.

Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team