cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webmail

tynygongl
Grafter

Webmail

I want to have my plusnet mail redirected to my gmail account. PlusNet Help have told me how to do this but when I get to 'enter e-mail settings' on gmail I get message
There was a problem while connecting to mail.<snip>.plus.com
  Server returned error: "We were unable to locate the other domain. Please contact your other provider."
What does this mean? can I get round it?
jim:green email removed mod:end
7 REPLIES 7
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Webmail

I think that you have it the wrong way round
You need to setup a redirect in the Plusnet email settings to the gmail account
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Gmail can be setup to pull email from other servers (so you can use the Gmail GUI)
I think the error in the OP's config is including his username in the mail server name - It should just be mail.plus.net (not .com)
tynygongl
Grafter

Thanks, but I've tried both ways and failed! In PlusNet's redirect, I do not understand what a 'Redirect name' is. In the Gmail set-up I'm still getting domain name unrecognized.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What mail server have you specified?
I tried setting my email up in Gmail earlier and the only gotcha is that it tries (incorrectly) to guess your mail server from your address and puts in mail.<username>.plus.com as the incoming server.
Delete this and replace it with mail.plus.net
LukeS
Grafter

Hi tynygongl,
I think you need to decide how you want this to work. You could set up a redirect in the way that Oldjim has described and this should still leave a copy in your Plusnet inbox. However, if you simply just want Gmail to collect your Plusnet email then pwatson's suggestions should work.
If you want to use our redirect, then in the redirect name box you enter the email address prefix. For example, if you wanted to redirect emails sent to 'redirect@username.plus.com' then you would enter redirect in the box.
If your wanting to redirect one of your current addresses/mailboxes then you would need to delete it first.
I hope this helps.
tynygongl
Grafter

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help. I have tried to follow advice but everything I enter is rejected, I clearly do not grasp what is being said so I think I'd better stick to using PlusNet mail as it is! Cry
LukeS
Grafter

Hi tynygongl,
If you'd like to send me a PM with exactly what you want then I'm sure I could assist.