cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Imap instead po3 in outlook what gets synched?

FIXED
mrwizard

Using Imap instead po3 in outlook what gets synched?

If I change my config in outlook to use Imap instead of POP3. Will all the folders I have in Outlook get synchronised back into my mailbox at plusnet? As I have a lot of emails etc. in outlook that are not on the plusnet email server due to me using pop3 up to now.

4 REPLIES 4
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Re: Using Imap instead po3 in outlook what gets synched?

Generally Outlook treats each account as distinct entities. Also you cannot have the same email address configured as both POP3 and IMAP. You will need to change the email address on the POP3 account in Outlook. Do not worry about that, as you will not be using that to send emails.

Under IMAP your SENT, DRAFT and TRASH folders will be kept on the server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mrwizard

So if I have a load of folders under the inbox only in outlook at the moment will these get synched up to the plusnet mail server as well?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Fix

Given that those folders are under the POP3 "account" in Outlook and when you create an IMAP "account" in Outlook for the same mailbox (having dealt with the duplicate email address considerations) - in short no.

Besides which, IMAP (initial) sync is server to client.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Before you try anything be sure to backup Outlook's PST file, you'll need to close Outlook first. Just in case things don't go as expected.