Did you mean: 

Standard Webmail (Round Cube) slow performance mitigation

FIXED
RobPN
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 13

Re: Standard Webmail (Round Cube) slow performance mitigation

@bazzer 

Many years ago when I used to get loads of spam I used MailWasher Pro which was pretty good at sorting good from bad.

Having just looked there seems to be a free version now which might be worth looking at

MailWasher Pro

MailWasher  Free

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

PlusNET’s own spam / virus filtering service is fairly decent at keeping rogue content out of harm’s way. See mail settings in the user portal.

In regards to the TV analogy … who looks at stuff on a phone or tablet before watching it on TV? The analogy does not apply. I suspect for the majority of users, they do not clearly understand that device based email clients can be used to access their email. The necessity to use the web browser interface is limited to accessing mail using someone else’s equipment - such as during working hours if you do not have a smart phone.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bazzer
Pro

@RobPN I used Mailwasher Pro for many years, but when I moved to a Mac it was not compatible.

Maybe it is now? It's been a while since I checked and I have got used to using webmail (when it works) to do the job myself.

bazzer
Pro

@Townman wrote:
PlusNET’s own spam / virus filtering service is fairly decent at keeping rogue content out of harm’s way. See mail settings in the user portal.

In regards to the TV analogy … who looks at stuff on a phone or tablet before watching it on TV? The analogy does not apply. I suspect for the majority of users, they do not clearly understand that device based email clients can be used to access their email. The necessity to use the web browser interface is limited to accessing mail using someone else’s equipment - such as during working hours if you do not have a smart phone.

@Townman As I said previously, I should have made it clearer why I use webmail, for the purpose of email filtering before I download to my desktop. 

Webmail is much more convenient to me when at work, not good for the posture if having to use a phone.

Anyway, I have persisted with webmail for too long, wasted many hours deleting emails, only to find they have not been deleted due to one error or another.

Utter frustration and the complete ignorance of PN to address this matter despite the many posts from those that have equally been upset at their incompetence.

I have started the process to move away from webmail and when that is complete, I will probably move from PN as my ISP.

As a customer of over 20 years, I don't think loyalty accounts for much, it's all about the numbers.

Also, I'm not concerned about who is the cheapest, I will gladly pay more for reliability, good customer service and quality.

Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

@bazzer - Mac Mail has a lot of support for junk mail filtering as you can see here:

Mac-Mail.png

I don't think you don't really need a third party Application if you do get spam mark it as such and the client will learn.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

My sympathies on using Plusnet email, but as I've posted more than once, PN charges you for broadband and phone, while your email and a couple of other things are provided as free extras. As always, you get what you pay for ... I gave up on PN's clumsy and clunky email after an afternoon trying to set it up when I joined PN years ago.

PN's BB is an excellent service and good value for money. I think most ISP provided email is rubbish and use an independent supplier -- in my case Fastmail with Thunderbird but others may be just as good. Fastmail's spam filtering is really good, I don't need extra filters on Tbird. Another advantage is that you can change ISP without change to your email addy/service. Usual disclaimer -- I'm just a satisfied customer.

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Plusnet is providing a service (it does no matter if its free as its being used to market and sell their whole broadband product).  The fact that they are providing an 'Add On' service without proper support to meet acceptable baseline performance  is unacceptable and short-sighted.  All they will do is make it more difficult to retain their existing customers and attract new ones.

I can just about accept a slow webmail service but all these spurious errors , lost sent email , internal errors , folders disappearing , failure to download all emails in folders (sometimes none at all) is UNACCEPTABLE. 

In every forum there are several 'shills' who do their best to secretly protect the brand of a company. Fine , I can live with that because its an open forum but look at my email chain showing how Plusnet have admitted they will not be able to resolve the performance issues unless changes are made (which costs MONEY). 

I am an ex-BT worker for 25 years and we would never have allowed our customers to be treated in this fashion whether it be a free add-on service or not.  

How things have changed!

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

My complaint to Mr Jansen is now being dealt by the 'Customer Advocates team that deals with highest level of complaints'. 

---------------------------------------

But this is the reply:

I am sorry to hear about the issues with your Plusnet email. We do have a known issue wherein you will see issues like:

* Pages not loading 

* Mail Disappearing 

* Errors within webmail such as IMAP errors, Failed to Fetch command, Server error, IMAP terminated

* The inability to see folders

* Sent mail not arriving

We do not have a specific timeframe of when the issue will be fix but to try and alleviate this problem

Please try the following:

https://webmail.plus.net

On the inbox list screen, select LIST OPTIONS which is the little grid icon on the left of the column title bar

Set sorting column to NONE

Click save

Try again.

--------------------

So the old 'set sorting column to None'  fix resurrected over and over again - but it doesn't work anymore.

I've asked the complaints handler whether Mr Jansen finds the above reply acceptable considering its been ongoing for over 3 years.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 161

You make the point well … remember it’s BT who control the purse strings around here. They have significant input to where effort is expended across all three consumer brands.

No one is defending the situation here - personally I’m just making clear that you do not HAVE to use the browser based email client. You can use any email client and not suffer the variable performance of webmail.

You need to ask yourself what’s your objective here - use email dependably or just keep on carping that it’s performance is far from ideal? If anyone does not like it, there are alternatives from using a different email client to using a different email provider.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Dave-m
Hooked

I find the issue is not just with the webmail interface.  Frequently PC IMAP clients fail to load new emails, sometimes for days at a time due to server errors, and deleted emails show up again later.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @FAILSAFE01,

I'm sincerely sorry to hear that you continue to experience these issues. I can see that the complaint is awaiting an update and that this will be picked back up for review as soon as possible. In the meantime, I would recommend attempting to setup your email account on a mail client as this may provide a better experience.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@FAILSAFE01 

"In every forum there are several 'shills' who do their best to secretly protect the brand of a company."

Agreed. Just as in every forum there are several 'shills' who prefer to carp and moan rather than act upon the remedies suggested to them.

"I am an ex-BT worker for 25 years and we would never have allowed our customers to be treated in this fashion whether it be a free add-on service or not."

Oh yes you would! I left BT years ago after my BT Yahoo 'free' email was hacked as were thousands of others. BT wasn't in the least concerned, but the last straw was when BT tried to charge £1.50 per month for its chaotic and insecure service. Today I enjoy excellent BB service and landline, plus excellent email service from an independent supplier, for less than BT demands for its basic BB.

FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

No I wouldn't because I and my team took pride in ensuring our customers were top priority . Just because you had one bad experience with one BT unit doesn't mean all the other business units are just as bad . You were unlucky just like we are with a rubbish Plusnet webmail service. 

Also , what do you expect to see on any ISP forum?  Customers spending their time saying how wonderful their supplier is - you must be joking.  

Shills (or Stooges or Plants) are the worst kind and actually make my skin crawl.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,484

Moderators Note

Please mind your language and accusations and keep on topic.

There are no shills and stooges on the forum and insistence / perpetuation of that myth may lead to further action.  

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
FAILSAFE01
Rising Star

Here is the final email on the subject from the Customer Advocates team (who deal with high level complaints).

"I can confirm that the issue is not over 3 years. You might have a different issue before but this known issue now is not over 3 years.

I understand that I cannot provide you a specific timeframe of when the issue will be fix and you want us to move all your folders and emails to an email service that has a proper infrastructure. Please be informed that we can only deal with our own server therefore we cannot transfer your email to a different email platform.  To avoid inconvenience due to the issue that we have, I would suggest to use a different email client that you prefer like gmail, outlook, etc.

Please be informed that the email that we provide free and it is not part of the contract that you have agreed with, which is why it is simple and basic email platform. It is not the same with other email Platform that has more capabilities. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to reply or call me on 0800 587 2677 anytime between 9:30am-5:00pm. I am here Monday-Friday."

So there it is plain as day!  Plusnet do not want to support their webmail service anymore and want their customers to move off it. 

So moderator , do you now wish to bar me from your community forum for telling the truth?