cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stalling webmail interface... again. Workaround

catjarmen
Dabbler

Stalling webmail interface... again. Workaround

My webmail won't populate the listing as expected. It is soooo sluggish.  I know there is a bodge workaround, going into that tiny icon at the column top and then selecting sort order "none", then save. BUT if I should refresh the page the stalling returns and I go back to check sort order and it has reverted to Subject order.  This all seems silly and not very 2020.

is the webmail ever going to be sorted out?  

The alternative is I redirect or forward to a reliable email service like my gmail.  But the former requires radical deletion and abandonment of my PN mail and the latter is not allowed on PN.  

5 REPLIES 5
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Stalling webmail interface... again. Workaround

You could just use your own IMAP email client as the majority of email users do.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catjarmen
Dabbler

yes, I could, but it is my choice to use a web browser, and it is hardly an excuse for it being nobbled by a PN bug that has been "investigated" for the past 15 months.

I use a chromebook.  Is there a mail client that works on chromebook?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

One presumes that as Chromebook comes out of the Google stable, that the Gmail client works on that platform.

Just go Google “Chromebook Email Client”. There are mixed views out there from nothing really works well on a Chromebook to Outlook for android works well. There are many to choose from ... though some might suggest that choosing a Chromebook was an option limiting decision.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

catjarmen
Dabbler

I am a mac man, the Chromebook is a necessary evil.  So can you configure Gmail client for other ISP mail accounts?  I thought it was for, er... Gmail.  Much as I like Google mail products their help pages are awful and the subject of the Gmail client is ambiguous as to whether it is a the android app of the Chromebook app.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Indeed, Google products are not a great choice, they should have stuck to what they do best - web content indexing.

I did a Google search for "gmail app as IMAP email client" and amongst othere things, came across this - https://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-email-apps-579368/ - which you might find useful.  What I think you need here is to use the Gmail app (or some other email client) to access all of your email accounts, WITHOUT having the Gmail service taking over all of your distinct email accounts.  Note therein, in reference to Gmail it states... "It supports most email services as well, including Yahoo, Microsoft Outlook, and others" ... so in theory it should do what you want.

HOWEVER, much of the online information on Gmail in conjunction with other email services talks of POP3 (not IMAP) connections and a sense of Gmail (server side I'm guessing) 'harvesting' all of your emails into Gmail's server.  Such is not a strategy I would adopt personally.

The other products referenced there might be viable alternatives for you.  As mentioned before, some advise that Outlook works well.  Personally I would start there.