SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

Santiago
Grafter

Re: SquirrelMail : Do you dig it?

The fact that it doesn't work I suppose. Please explain then clever dick
Lynda
Grafter

It would be nice if I could HAVE an email address. One part of the site tells you in one formation and the other a different way.
I tried registering mine and it doesn't work and I can't even create one on Outlook which is normally the easiest way.
All I want is a Plusnet email address-not much to ask !!
Cheers, Lynda~
Roll_eyes
artmo
Aspiring Champion

Why not ring the PN team in Sheffield and they will talk you through it.Tel: 01142965198
cutchi

Hi, I am trying to reply to the Plusnet query on whether or not I am happy with Squirrelmail. NO,NO, NO - I hate it. Angry I hate the look of the format, if I try to copy something into it I find that any visual information  and formatting is discarded and all in all it is like something from the last century.
Even when i have been trying to write this it has discarded some of my typing - a common occurence!
That said I am happy with Plusnet as a provider - just get your act together and come up with a better email programme like others.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Both my children are at (different) universities.
Their Email is Squirrelmail.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: cutchi
I hate the look of the format, if I try to copy something into it I find that any visual information  and formatting is discarded and all in all it is like something from the last century.

Sounds like you need to enable html?  Have you looked at the display options in the Options drop-down menu?
Squirrel is a pretty basic app, but that's why we like it!  Still, it should be less unfriendly than it seems to be to you...
Best wishes
Chris
paulcollard

Love Plus net service without question and so glad I changed to you but i HATE  Cry the current squirrel webmail. Its old fashioned, out of date and awful. PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE bring your email service into the 21th century!!!!!!  Undecided
LokisRainbow

While I have categorically hated SquirrelMail since it was first implemented by Plusnet in 2007, I have tried to keep an open mind; I have weighed its assets against its flaws, and 3 years down the line, I can honestly say, that this is absolutely the worst webmail service I have ever had the misfortune to have to use! Apart from the fact that it's no one would ever call it pretty, it definitely does not do what it says on the tin.
Since becoming a customer in 2002, I have firmly believed that Plusnet in my experience is without a doubt the best ISP / broadband provider in both the UK, and international market; as such, I've come to expect a very high quality service across the board, and I think it's a real pity that this webmail service really lets them down.  It's not just the fact that SquirrelMail doesn't look pretty, I could live with that if it was even vaguely user-friendly; however it's sluggish, unresponsive, and just a downright pain in the ass. 
It consistently times out. The IMAP server repeatedly drops the connection, particularly when attempting to delete multiple email, or report SPAM. Today it took 6 consecutive attempts to report 2 emails as SPAM, the last attempt took no less 5 minutes to finally succeed, and reporting other 3 emails as "Not SPAM" was no more successful.  Unfortunately these are not an isolated incidents; on the contrary they are a regular occurrence that I've come to expect every time I use this webmail service. Using SquirrelMail is a bit like watching cheap, poor-quality paint dry, and slide off the wall!  To add insult to injury, mail that is repeatedly reported as Spam, is still being delivered to my Inbox months after it was reported; just as mail that has repeated been reported as "Not Spam" is still being diverted to my Spam folder.
As for the user-friendly aspect, I can't view anything in HTML, and attachments need to be downloaded before they can be viewed; surely this negates the very purpose of webmail!  What use is a service, that doesn't allow me to actually read /view my email? Surely I shouldn't have to wait until I'm at home to download my email, or forward email to my Blackberry in order to be able to view it; there is something seriously wrong with this webmail service, when a Blackberry gives me a much greater ability to read my email, than the webmail service provided by Plusnet.
Come on Plusnet, every other aspect of the service you provide is impeccable; surely there must be a webmail service that provides both security and functionality.  For home or Business Broadband, I have no hesitation is recommending Plusnet to anyone, and everyone I believe could benefit from a high quality broadband service; but for anyone who travels, and needs to the ability to access their email online 5 days out of 7, I currently have no choice but to point them in the direction of hotmail, gmail, etc.  It is such a shame that your webmail service, doesn't live up to the rest of your service.
Not applicable

Summed up very well.  I too am seeing the time out problem and then have to log back in again.  Also, it is slow but much worse in the day. 
Plusnet have gone very quiet on this subject and it would be good to know if there are any plans afoot to improve matters, particularly as there are now so many new subscribers.
RoundCube is not a good substitute IMO.
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Do Plusnet not read these posts......almost all have different complaints about this poor e-mail service.
It does your reputation no good at all providing a service like this, it's slow, unreliable and has numerous problems identified in this and other posts.
Please put it as a priority issue to sort out... It will save us and yourselves a lot of aggro in the long run.
We are born into history and history is born into us.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If they are read, then please continue to offer Squirrelmail.
For those who want a non-webmail interface, they can use Thunderbird.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I like SquirrelMail, but I am sick of day in, day out of having problems with Webmail, I have given up on hoping that webmail will get fixed any time soon!  Angry
If PlusNet does change Webmail I hope that thay don't use RoundCube, my screen reader can not read the text from RoundCube, so if PlusNet does use RoundCube for me to check my mail before Downloading my eMails, me and PlusNet will be parting ways.
Plus I will send PlusNet to the Disability Discrimination Rights, for breaking the Disability Discrimination Act.
PlusNet note if you provide a service You Must provide That Service To All, so if you provide a service that only people who can see, without a aid that breaks the Disability Discrimination Act.
Not applicable

I have started a thread HERE on the PUG forum asking if they would raise this again with Plusnet.
Spraxyt is hoping to take this forward.  In the meantime might I suggest that we have a simple poll just to gauge opinion on this matter?
davek
Dabbler

I've not been a regular user of the Forum, but after months of frustration with the Webmail system, I'm intrigued to find posts such as this that reflect my experiences. I've raised numerous tickets with the support staff, and whilst they have always been helpful, any solutions to the problems have been, at the best, temporary only. the regular issues I've raised are, in decreasing degrees of annoyance.
1. Chronically slow responses to the simplest operations. At their worst, this can mean a full 60 seconds to open a message, delete a message, switch between folders etc. It's erratic, but for the last 2 days it's sometimes been even longer than 60 seconds, and I've encountered a new problem during the process, which is an error message disconnecting me from the server, effectively timing me out! Even at the best, it's still much slower than Yahoo, Google etc.
2. Disconnection from the IMAP server at any time. Again erratic, but at it's worst this can happen several times per minute. The service team have several times found a temporary solution by some form of account reset, and resetting my router, but this has been an ongoing problem for over 2 years.
3. No information on file size. This is particularly frustrating when any of the service guys who are not familiar with my problems start off by trying to tell me that my Inbox is too large (it isn't, it's cleared regularly), and I can't check to see the file sizes of individual files or the total folder size.
I agree completely that otherwise PlusNet are a great provider, they do try to address problems, and the spam filter works well. Otherwise though Squirrelmail is an embarrassing anachronism given the reputation for quality that PlusNet have built up.
Quote from: LokisRainbow
While I have categorically hated SquirrelMail since it was first implemented by Plusnet in 2007, I have tried to keep an open mind; I have weighed its assets against its flaws, and 3 years down the line, I can honestly say, that this is absolutely the worst webmail service I have ever had the misfortune to have to use! Apart from the fact that it's no one would ever call it pretty, it definitely does not do what it says on the tin.
Since becoming a customer in 2002, I have firmly believed that Plusnet in my experience is without a doubt the best ISP / broadband provider in both the UK, and international market; as such, I've come to expect a very high quality service across the board, and I think it's a real pity that this webmail service really lets them down.  It's not just the fact that SquirrelMail doesn't look pretty, I could live with that if it was even vaguely user-friendly; however it's sluggish, unresponsive, and just a downright pain in the ass. 
It consistently times out. The IMAP server repeatedly drops the connection, particularly when attempting to delete multiple email, or report SPAM. Today it took 6 consecutive attempts to report 2 emails as SPAM, the last attempt took no less 5 minutes to finally succeed, and reporting other 3 emails as "Not SPAM" was no more successful.  Unfortunately these are not an isolated incidents; on the contrary they are a regular occurrence that I've come to expect every time I use this webmail service. Using SquirrelMail is a bit like watching cheap, poor-quality paint dry, and slide off the wall!  To add insult to injury, mail that is repeatedly reported as Spam, is still being delivered to my Inbox months after it was reported; just as mail that has repeated been reported as "Not Spam" is still being diverted to my Spam folder.
As for the user-friendly aspect, I can't view anything in HTML, and attachments need to be downloaded before they can be viewed; surely this negates the very purpose of webmail!  What use is a service, that doesn't allow me to actually read /view my email? Surely I shouldn't have to wait until I'm at home to download my email, or forward email to my Blackberry in order to be able to view it; there is something seriously wrong with this webmail service, when a Blackberry gives me a much greater ability to read my email, than the webmail service provided by Plusnet.
Come on Plusnet, every other aspect of the service you provide is impeccable; surely there must be a webmail service that provides both security and functionality.  For home or Business Broadband, I have no hesitation is recommending Plusnet to anyone, and everyone I believe could benefit from a high quality broadband service; but for anyone who travels, and needs to the ability to access their email online 5 days out of 7, I currently have no choice but to point them in the direction of hotmail, gmail, etc.  It is such a shame that your webmail service, doesn't live up to the rest of your service.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Quote from: poppy
In the meantime might I suggest that we have a simple poll just to gauge opinion on this matter?

Sounds good to me!