cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Some (if not all) emails from Plusnet to SFR (France) being blocked

PeterSoul
Grafter

Some (if not all) emails from Plusnet to SFR (France) being blocked

From around ten days ago, all my emails to my sister (address xx@sfr fr) have failed to get through, instead being "returned" 3-4 days later with the message: "A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server 93.17.128.123 responded with: ** [email address] 420:Socket error This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server avasout05."

I then found another Plusnet customer who similarly could not get through to her -- and conversely, another SFR customer who I couldn't reach.

In chat-discussion with Plusnet, I was told:

-   my emails are evidently queueing at Plusnet before being returned, but must be being blocked by a Groupwise server at SFR (since only a Groupwise server generates a 420 error, and Plusnet doesn't have one),

-   potentially this is happening to anyone's emails from Plusnet to SFR -- but Plusnet can't check this or investigate it, as the issue is within SFR.

So my sister is trying to get SFR interested in the problem!  Meanwhile, is anyone else experiencing the same?  Any thoughts or suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Some (if not all) emails from Plusnet to SFR (France) being blocked

I'm doubtful it has anything to do with where you're sending them too, I occasionally get the same problem sending emails to my sister who lives just 80 miles away. She's on Plusnet too! Other people have mentioned the same problem to me before. I've never found the cause of this issue but usually it rights itself a few hours later.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

@MKSlinky,

This issue has everything to do with the destination service and nothing to do with geographic distance.  It is likely that many other ISPs are having the same issue ... unless this is one of those very unhelpful error messages which do not describe the real issue ... for example the sender's email SMTP service is being challenged by the receiver.  The fact that this SMTP error code is only generated by GroupWise platforms is disconcerting, as it suggests this is not a standard error code.

Peter,

You need to get your sister to contact her email service provider - see here: - https://www.knownhost.com/wiki/email/troubleshooting/error-numbers/420 (quote from link below) - there is nothing practical PlusNet can to resolve this issue.  Note that the 3-4 day delay is not untypical of SMTP service "throw in the rag - I cannot do this" abandonment of an attempt to transfer a mail item to a non-responsive service.  This is a SFR issue.

What does this mean?

This error has been provided by a GroupWise server, only the server administrators of the receiving mail server will be able to confirm the actual issue present. However, this is typically as a result of being blocked by the recipient's firewall/filter or the server is experience a hardware issue.

How to fix SMTP Error 420

Attempt contacting the administrator of the destination mail server for specifics on the exact reason for the error. This typically requires performing a WHOIS on the mail server.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PeterSoul
Grafter

Thanks for the info.

Actually, on Saturday she spoke to someone at SFR, and today the problem was fixed!