Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server or machine?

IMR88
Dabbler

Server or machine?

PN support suggest I post this here

Slow machine (WIn10, 3/4y yr old Toshiba laptop) so saved all documents, just in case. Took the opportunity to delete old files, including some old pst files. 

Outlook 2016 then won't start without 2015 dated pst file. Tried deleting and reinstalling, still wants the old file. Tired to find old file, including Recuva, no joy. Find similar file, Outlook opens, but no connection. Try reloading account settings, no joy, keep rejecting password for POP3. Eventually manage clean install, still no connection. Try IMAP settings, it works. 

I don't like IMAP, mainly because I use Outlook as a file storage system, keeping old e-mails either as a record of conversations or as scientific references to look up when time. With IMAP, a) it takes forever to synch, b) I reach PN mailbox size. 

So a) what gives with one set of settings working, but not the other. b) should I pay for a better e-mail client?

Iain

7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Server or machine?

Since Microsoft loves to call all its email clients "Outlook" please could we confirm that this relates to the separately purchased (perhaps as part of MS Office) Outlook 2016 (Version 16.0.8625.2121 in my case) and not the Mail program provided as part of Windows 10.

David
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If we are looking at Outlook as shipped with MS Office starting Outlook in safe mode might help...

Outlook.exe /safe

As for the IMAP vs POP3 argument, there is nothing stopping you having local folders within Outlook when using IMAP.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 514

You can also hold down the CTRL key while starting Outlook from the desktop or Start menu to access Safe Mode.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

IMR88
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies so far. 

It's outlook as part of Office 2016, separate install

I know I can set up folders, but as I said, I use Outlook as a file storage, not least for conversations I need to keep a record of. PN hassles me because my mailboxes get too full. I am archiving as much as I can

Something that really puzzles me - I have a maibox on my mac, using pop settings, no problem, as does my phone. I'll try in safe mode. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

As you have described the issue, this has nothing to do with POP or IMAP options nor the fact that things work OK on other devices.  The error you describe relates to not being able to locate a local DATA file Outlook expects to be there.  Safe mode should allow start-up without attaching to those local files.

Using multiple devices with POP3 connectivity is I suggest just looking for trouble.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

IMR88
Dabbler

Thanks Townman, machine is currently grinding through an update, so we'll see what that does. The POP3 is odd though, by my understanding it should remove all mails form the server, but it hasn't. Which is handy really given I've lost the last 2 months worth!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Normally POP3 does remove them from the server, but it can be configured to leave them there for a while - a kind of hybrid IMAP so to speak. Frankly in the paradigm of multiple clients accessing the same mailbox, POP3 is somewhat an anathema, not really fit for purpose.