cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sent Emails Don't Appear in Sent Folder (Windows 10 mail)

FIXED
Rossendale
Hooked

Sent Emails Don't Appear in Sent Folder (Windows 10 mail)

Hi Peeps,

I've read through previous similar threads, but can't find anything that helps with my particular problem.  So I would be grateful for any help you can provide.

I can receive messages without a problem, However any that I send don't go into my Windows 10 mail Sent folder.

I have checked that they have been received by their recipients, so I know they HAVE gone.  Also when I access Plusnet Webmail, the Sent folder is populated with my sent messages, but still the Windows Sent folder had no messages.

I've attached a screen grab of my settings, in case that helps.

Mike

9 REPLIES 9
Rossendale
Hooked

Re: Sent Emails Don't Appear in Sent Folder (Windows 10 mail)

Update

When I look in detail, only messages from last year and before are listed in my Plusnet webmail sent folder

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

In webmail make sure you are subscribed to all folders. Win10 mail does not necessarily use the same folder for sent items as other IMAP email clients.

In Win10 mail, look under folders - you’ll probably find another sent items folder.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rossendale
Hooked

Thank you for your reply Townman.

There are two sent folders, but no messages in either.

>In webmail make sure you are subscribed to all folders.<

How do I do this?  I can't see any subscriptions tab?

Thanks,

Mike

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

In webmail...

Options cog at the bottom of the folders pane...

Manage folders...

Look at the folder list

Ensure that they are all ticked

Click the MAIL icon at the top of the screen - you will now see any folders which were not previously subscribed to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Rossendale
Hooked

Thank you for your reply Townman.

All the folders are ticked.

My guess is it's not a problem with Plusnet, but with Windows Mail.

Mike

Rossendale
Hooked

Does anyone out there in webland know why Windows mail isn't loading my sent emails?

In my original post I've attached a screen grab of my settings, which seem alright.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Mike

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi Mike,

I’ve had a rummage around on the web.

I’d have a read through the advice here > https://windowsreport.com/live-mail-cannot-find-sent-messages/

You could also try removing the email account from Windows 10 Mail and then re-add it using the settings here > https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Fix
That link phrasing reminded me of one of the reasons why I do not recommend Win10 mail - there were (are?) issues where Win10 mail deletes sent items - you see them appear briefly and then they get vaporised. I do not know if that got fixed.

Best advice I can offer is to use a better email client.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@Rossendale 

Thank you for the "This fixed it for me" badge!

This issue is legion (see Windows 10 Mail Sent Box is Empty (windowsphoneinfo.com)) so now that I'm on a desk top (rather than a phone) I thought it worth a more reflective response.

I have seen a multitude of issues with sent items using Win10 Mail, especially when connecting to an already existing / populated mailbox.  Here is a run down of the ones I recall...

1. Win10 Mail does not look to see if there is already a folder for sent items on the IMAP server and just creates a new folder called "Sent Items".  Accessing that mailbox via Webmail and subscribing to all folders will show that there are two sent mail folders - possibly with different names or in different locations.  This issue can be "fixed" by moving all of the existing sent mail to the new folder created by Win10 Mail, then in Webmail change the folder to be used for the SYSTEM SENT ITEMS folder to be that new folder - webmail and Win10 Mail will then use the same folder for sent items - it is messy, but it can be made to work!
  2. The root folder needs specifying - I've seen this on a large number of occasions on a number of email platforms, but I have never bottomed out the cause.  Sent, Draft and Trash folders do not reflect what is on the IMAP server and in some cases, inbox does not update properly.  I suspect that this occurs where the mailbox has been accessed by the Round-cube webmail application BEFORE being accessed by an Outlook or a Win10 Mail client.  The account settings need "inbox" (without the quotes) adding to the root folder configuration item.  I have Plusnet email accounts requiring and not requiring this to work properly; I have seen this on two other IMAP mail platforms as well all having the common factor of using Round Cube as the email client ... along with my historic practice of accessing a new mail box with Round Cube (to force create Sent, Draft and Trash folders) before accessing them with Outlook or Wnin10 Mail and allowing them to do their own thing!
  3. Win10 mail deletes sent items after sending - I've seen this, I never got to the bottom of this and at that point I totally abandoned trying to use the application - for example see Mail App - Windows 10 - Auto Deletes Sent eMails - Microsoft Community - I have no idea if this got fixed as I stopped wasting time to make it work!
  4. Win10 Mail does not use the IMAP server's DRAFT folder - one of the great things about using multiple IMAP clients on the same mailbox, is that (if set up properly) they all see the same and behave similarly, even if using different email programs.  Consider - you're sat in the Office and want draft a long email so you access your mailbox using Webmail and make a start (let's hope it is not frowned upon to access your personal email on work's time) - however the boss appears and thinking sharply you save it to drafts and log out and get on doing what you're paid to do.  On the train home, you look at your mail on your iPhone, open the item in the DRAFTS folder and continue editing it.  As you approach your station, you save it back to the drafts folder.  Later that evening you wind up your Win10 Mail application intending to finish off the email ... only it is not in the drafts folder.  You start again, do not finish it, save it to drafts and plan to pick it up on the train in the morning.  When your morning train finally arrives you look at your phone, find yesterday evening's draft as it was when you arrived at the station, but not the draft you did last night on the home computer

I suggest that Win10 Mail's inability in a number of areas to play nicely with other IMAP clients makes it significantly unusable unless used on its own as the only email client.  Even then I find its UI quirky.  The Winmail applications boing back to Win95 were far superior (at one point they were superior to the "professional" version of Outlook).  Up to a point those old email applications will work on Win10 are more usable than Win10 Mail but there are some issues working with TLS encrypted server configurations.

There are other email clients out there!