cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reporting Scam Emails

bodgem
Dabbler

Reporting Scam Emails

Over the past 6 months or so the number of scam/spam emails getting through to one of my email addresses has rocketed. They are nearly all caught but as there have been around 50 asking me to renew my (non-existent) McAfee subscription I thought I'd report it following the advice here:  https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/report-phishing.

The instructions say forward on the spam email to report@phishing.gov.uk however the (possibly amusing) result is:

report@phishing.gov.uk
Remote Server returned '550 5.7.520 Message blocked because it contains content identified as spam. AS(4810)'

Is this a result of 'military intelligence'  being displayed by the police/government or something stopping it along the way?

e.g. a plusnet server. If so, are plusnet doing their bit to stop the source rather than just the symptoms?

Grumpy old git

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Reporting Scam Emails

In my e mail programme (Outlook 2019), right clicking on rogue message produces the options shown.

See if yours has something similar.

block.JPG

Deafman196823
Grafter

I always use Gmail as they filter all known spam e-mails and I get around 20 a day but I left it in the spam folder and I regularly empty the Spam bin weekly.  You should give this a shot so only known e-mails that you are familiar with will stay in the inbox and not the spam folder.

bodgem
Dabbler

ATQ