Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Redirects stopped working

FIXED
peterhutch
Fixes: 1

Redirects stopped working

Hi,

My email redirects have stopped working today. The last email received via a redirect was at 16.20 today. Can anyone throw any light on this? Is there a general problem with redirects or is it just mine? 

I tried creating a new redirect. This apparently was successful. I got a confirmation email, but an hour later when I sent an email to the new redirect Plusnet address, it just disappeared, and never arrived in the target email inbox. Same effect for the existing redirect. If I send an email directly to the target address for the new redirect or the existing one, that arrives as normal.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Redirects stopped working

@peterhutch are you redirecting to a google or yahoo address by any chance ?

They have recently modified their requirements for (particularly) forwarded mail https://powerdmarc.com/google-and-yahoo-email-authentication-requirements/ .

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peterhutch

@MisterW thanks for the idea. I looked at this. I'm not doing any bulk emailing, and also the redirect does not go to Google or Yahoo but to my own domain which then forwards on to an Office 365 mailbox hosted by Microsoft.

However, that prompted me to test a bit more - I changed one of the redirects to skip my own domain and go direct to the Office 365 mailbox. That is working this morning, so maybe the issue is with the service which manages my own domain (though we are getting emails coming in through that route from other places with no problem). I'll switch the other redirects to do that for now and see if there is any change with regard to the routing through our domain which I need to address.

PeterHutch

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

so maybe the issue is with the service which manages my own domain 

@peterhutch with all the attempts to reduce spam these days, email forwarding is becoming problematic. If you have a domain registrar who only provides  basic email forwarding, you are very likely to have problems , either now or in the future. They are unlikely to provide SRS (Sender rewriting system) or ARC (Authenticated receive chain) functionality. If you wish to use your own domain for email, then I'm afraid these days you really need to have your domain hosted properly for email, so that you can receive email directly to the domain, without any forwarding.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peterhutch

Fix

Thanks @MisterW - useful tip and thank you for explaining.

We don't have any problem with email being forwarded FROM our domain provider into the Office 365 servers. It is a while ago when I set that up so I can't remember the detail, but I had to jump through some hoops with DNS entries to ensure that we had the link between the domain name servers and the Office 365 system set up, and once that was done, email in and out is fine. A quick check suggests that Microsoft's Office 365 system has some level of support for both SRS and ARC.

It seems like maybe redirects TO our domain name provider may be the issue, I will need to dig into that. Maybe they don't support SRS or ARC properly.

If I have to move to hosting our own, so be it but frankly Microsoft is doing such a good job for us I don't want to go down that route if I don't need to.

For now, the problem is resolved by avoiding redirecting to/through our domain name service, so I can take some more time to check into what was going on in case we ever need to do that in the future.

PeterHutch