cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reactivate email account

BerylC

Reactivate email account

I have recently changed from plusnet to BT as my broadband provider and BT failed to inform plusnet to maintain my email account when this was transferred.

Is there any way the email can be reactivated as this is my main email account for all my contacts?

5 REPLIES 5
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Re: Reactivate email account

@BerylC If you moved ISP from PN to  BT after June last year, the email dies with your account.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Trouble setting up my plusnet emails accounts

@BerylC wrote:

BT failed to inform plusnet to maintain my email account when this was transferred.

What lead you to expect that your email service would be maintained after deserting to BT?

The "Sorry you are leaving" communication from Plusnet makes very clear that all associated services, notably email, will clear when the broadband service ceases.  However there have been one or two cases where users transferring to BT (business, social tariff users or those switching to FTTP with digital voice) have acquired the impression that the transfer of their existing service to BT includes email as well.

IT DOES NOT!  Users appear to be inferring that it does, so it is of interest to understand how such expectations are arising.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

BerylC

I'm answering using my mother's (Beryl) account on her behalf, but from what I understand BT had informed her this would all be available once the switch to BT had taken place so either a lie or ill informed on their part.

This is aside from the fact that I believe she was convinced to change to BT by them telling her she had to do so to keep internet access when they upgraded the line in her area. Unfortunately I wasn't aware of this till the change had gone through as I would have told her she could remain with plusnet.

Ross

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

@BerylC If what 'you understand' is what your mother was told, to the best of her recollection, then the BT advisor was either not properly briefed, or was lying.

Closing a Plusnet account means just that, for all the facilities associated with that account - including email.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Hi Ross,

What I find more disturbing in what you’ve shared is the inference that “having upgraded the line” your mum HAD to move to avoid losing her internet - losing her number might have been a more relevant potential issue.

All over the country the existing copper network is being replaced by FTTP. At the moment switching to that is NOT obligatory.

It is true that a switch to FTTP with Plusnet would entail a loss of the telephone number … which can only be avoided by switching to FTTP with BT Retail as that also offers switching the existing phone number to digital voice (not the same as SIP/VoIP).

I would be seeking clarity on who initiated the transfer Plusnet or BT Retail and raise a complaint that the full consequences of the move were not explained clearly and thereby have left your mum in a decidedly disadvantaged position.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.