cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems with IMAP access to emails?

d8smt
Rising Star

Problems with IMAP access to emails?

I've suddenly started having problems accessing my emails via en email client on my mobile phones via IMAP, although it is fine from my Win10 PC client.

The settings on the phone are correct (I haven't changed them) and I can still access the emails via my windows10 email client so I know it's not a password/login problem.However, using Outlook & other email client apps on my Android phones, the service will not connect (incorrect email ID/password). Anyone else have the same problem? Any ideas on how to fix?

26 REPLIES 26
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Problems with IMAP access to emails?

Apologies for the delayed response.

Are you still seeing issues?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
d8smt
Rising Star

Hi Matthew,

Yes, still got issues but I've just figured out (I think) what the issue is.

It seems that Microsoft has begun enforcing SSL connections on their programs. This became apparent when I updated my android phone last week and it kicked out some (but not all) of my email connections to plusnet mailboxes. Because of this, the email connections failed, and I couldn't reconnect my accounts because it was failing with "incorrect email & password" for SMTP. Some of those mailboxes already in the program seemed to slip through unaffected, others were kicked out & can't be readded because of the SSL issue presumably.  However, I managed to download an older version of the outlook APK program onto my android and it all datafills & connects OK. So the issue is really that Microsoft is stopping email access via unsecured means on mobile/tablet devices and PN won't support encrypted/secure connections. i tried the same thing on a firends iPhone and the same thing happens.

This is a real pain, because PlusNet refuses to support SSL. The only real reason I still use plusnet any more is because I can host my email/web domain on Plusnet as part of my package (since the broadband I have at home is terrible in terms of reliability, but I put up with it because of this mail/web hosting capability). However, if I cannot access emails now from my windows tablet & mobile devices, then there's no real need unfortunately to stick with PN any more - especially if i can't access my emails from my phone/tablet devices.

I suspect I'll not be the only one with these issues !

Dave

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mssavvy
Grafter

I'm having similar issues (and also have a domain and website hosted here) - I have a new email client and can't connect my plusnet email via IMAP (which is the only option). There's either a timeout notification or an error about size. Mad! All my other emails from other providers have been connected with no problems.... Did you ever find a solution or is there none...

d8smt
Rising Star

It seems somewhat random. I did not fix my issue on Outlook on Android on the latest release, although when I set my wife's email up - on the same app, with the same release versions - there was no problem (and she is on the same email domain/login as I am). However, I did download an older version of Outlook for Android (Sept 2017 version) and this worked so I have stuck to this at the moment.

hudd
Hooked

I'm having the same problem. I can access my emails via plusnet on my windows 7 and 10 machines via plusnet POP3 server but can't set up outlook on my ipad. Keeps telling me I have the wrong password. Support at Microsoft say I have a error code 12 which says I can't get a SSL connection from plusnet. They say this is a plusnet issue, but 2 calls to plusnet tech guys yesterday didn't resolve the issue.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@mssavvy which e-mail client are you using?

@hudd there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to setup your Plusnet e-mail address on your iPad without SSL. Does it work with the native iOS mail app?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
d8smt
Rising Star

Ditto for me on Outlook for android and iphone. I managed to fix the previous issue I posted (above) by reverting back to an old version of the Outlook client on android. but since last weekend, it looks like MS have updated their clients and so all my Plusnet mail connections are now failing (and not just mine, all family accounts also linked) to connect. The old workaround doesn't work any more, and there's no way to adjust any SSL settings. Ditto accessing the accounts with a Google mail app..

i've posted this in another thread, forgot I had already posted a few months back.

hudd
Hooked

I was using Outlook for IOS but couldn't even get past password stage. I then reset my ipad and used "mail" which was the default mail client already on my ipad from new. I was able to log in and even send emails but alas not to receive them.

I think it must be linked to a problem plusnet support are meant to be coming back to me on about webmail.plus.net which also lets me send emails but not receive them. I can however send and receive emails on my windows 7 and 10 computers without any problem, but these use the POP3 and SMTP servers. Definitely a problem with plusnet imap servers in my view. I'll keep you posted when and if plusnet get back to me.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@hudd it does sound like there may be something not right with IMAP for you.

I've raised a task with a back-end team to investigate this and we should have an update within 3 working days.

@d8smt this sounds like it may be a problem with how the mail clients are working. Have you tried the native iOS app too?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hudd
Hooked

Many thanks Gandalf. Your assistance is much appreciated. Lets hope we can get this resolved soon.

d8smt
Rising Star

@Gandalf   OK, so just been onto Microsoft & Outlook support and they have got back to me. They have confirmed that they have now enforced SSL on their Outlook & Microsoft mobile Apps without the ability to deselect it, and so they cannot be used with PlusNet mail servers.The latest releases of their mobile apps have this enforced.  I have also tried another couple of mail apps and they are the same (Android Oreo). The only one I can get it to work with is the native Samsung app (not available on all Android phones) because you can indeed still choose to switch off SSL.

This seems to be across both Android & IOS, i have tried the same with the apps on IOS (latest version). I have tried the native IOS app (I wouldn't use it anyway) and I can get that to connect with security disabled, but it does take a few attempts to establish the connection.

Anyway, it seems that the archaic limitations of the Plusnet email servers are finally catching up in this new century. It is a shame, the main reason I have stayed with PN all these years is *really* the ability to host my own email & web server capability from Plusnet directly. With this capability effectively gone, it begs the question of Plusnet's USP moving forward to its customer base.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for the update.

You should be able to connect via the nature iOS app without SSL (Unless something has recently changed I'm not aware of).

Apologies for the inconvenience caused with regards to not supporting SSL, we've no news to share on that I'm afraid at present.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
d8smt
Rising Star

There are certainly a lot of people who are going to be affected by this as they upgrade their clients, IMHO It would be worth posting something about this as a sticky & letting the support teams know, when I was on chat yesterday they didn't recognise this issue.

cheers

Dave