cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plusnet to Windows 10 email connection

Meerkat41
Hooked

Plusnet to Windows 10 email connection

After several years absence I'm pleased to have returned to Plusnet Community albeit under a different username. 

Unfortunately, I'm in need of help. A friend of mine has, until recently, been using a laptop but has now purchased a desktop PC and wishes to use the W10 Mail app instead of her current WLM 2012. I have tried many times to setup the new account for her but cannot get it to send or receive emails. We are both Plusnet members and I have referred to previous Community posts on the subject (2015/2016) but have failed miserably. I would be most grateful if anyone could offer any later suggestions or advice on how I may  successfully achieve this email connection.

5 REPLIES 5
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Re: Plusnet to Windows 10 email connection

Hi @Meerkat41

Pleased to have you back in our community.

It is difficult to know the reason why you are not able to achieve a successful email setup without looking at the information inputted. I wil put the setting you need to set an email connection up but ideally, would you be able to screenshot or type in the settings you've put in but make sure no account usernames or password are displayed on this thread please.

Email settings:

Username: Account username, or if using an additional mailbox, username+(mailbox name)
Password: Email password

POP3 Incoming mail server: mail.plus.net  
POP3 Incoming mail server port: 110

Or

IMAP server (if IMAP is used): imap.plus.net  
IMAP server port: 143

SMTP Outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net  
SMTP Outgoing mail server port: 587

SSL: Off for both incoming and outgoing

The choice on whether to use IMAP or POP is up to yourself. POP3 is the standard but IMAP is better if you will be receiving emails at multiple locations such as on smart phones or on a separate PC. However you will need to have all devices setup using the same account type whether it is POP or IMAP.

I am not sure if you already have, but this thread might help as well.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Win10 email app is very much not the best if email clients. Unless you’ve set it up before it is full of bear pits. Left to its own automatic configuration it will...

Use the email address as the account name
Setup servers as imap.accountname.plus.com and smtp.accountname.plus.com using SSL.

You must use the configure manually option, which is not readily displayed on the mail account type screen - there is a vertical scroll bar, but it is not obviously apparent, only faintly showing on mouse over. Configure manually is the at the bottom of the list just outside of the displayed window.

Then use the details given above. Alternatively use WLM2012 (it is a better client) or buy Office 365 (£79pa) and use the full version of Outlook 2016.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Meerkat41
Hooked

Thank you and Townman for your replies, much appreciated.

Beyhive: The details I have used are as follows bearing in mind I have tried several variations including both Pop3 and imap.

Username: As used when logging into Plusnet website.

Password: As above

Incoming mail server: mail.plus.net. (Pop3 as shown in her membership details) 

SMTP outgoing mail server: relay.plus.net

As stated earlier, I have also tried with imap4 and ticking/unticking the bottom two authentication boxes.

Perhaps I have inadvertently mixed up the various possible settings, an Eric Morecambe situation of 'right settings in the wrong order'.

Hi, Townman.

I take your point about using imap, which I gather is deemed to be better than Pop3 but she doesn't have any other devices other than her PC. Furthermore, I considered it best to use the information provided in her Plusnet broadband connection details. The reason she opted to try W10 Mail was our belief WLM was no longer supported (??) and she was not happy with using any of the other services, Gmail, Outlook etc; which appeared to be too complex for her simple needs.

I hope this helps and, again, I thank you both for your assistance. Please let me know if further information is required.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The settings in her account details show both POP3 and IMAP just the POP3 is listed first and with more prominence.

Just to ensure no presumptions - has a mailbox been set up on her account. These are not now established by default; the user needs to go into the user portal and configure the first mailbox. See manage my account - manage email.

It is worth attempting to login using webmail to affirm that the mail service is working on the account. She might even find the adoption of webmail preferable to using the Win10 excuse for an email client.

As for WLM2012 there’s lots of stuff not support which works better than replacements which might be supported but be functionally less intuitive!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Meerkat41
Hooked

Hi Townman,

Regarding the mailbox, I don't think so but I'm not sure and would need to check that. Strangely, you mention logging on to her webmail but she now tells me that she has been unable to gain access just lately although using the same password from the beginning. This must surely have a bearing on the matter and referral to Plusnet needed.

To be honest, having informed her of your comments, she is not adverse to remaining with WLM2012 as she has not experienced any problems in the past and, of course, is fully au fait with that account. Better the devil you know, I suppose.

Thanks again for your interest and advice, it's great to know there are people like yourself so willing and able to help.