Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving emails

lucywoodd
Hooked

Not receiving emails

Hello,

I'm a plusnet broadband customer.

I have a private email address for my business, but when I'm connected to my plusnet broadband at home, I cannot receive emails to either of my business accounts. There are no problems if I'm connected to a hotspot or any other internet provider (TalkTalk at work for example), but every time I set up emails on either my iPhone or Windows Laptop I initially can receive emails on the network but then it stops receiving.

One account is POP3, Port Number 995, using SSL

The other is IMAP, Port Number 993, using SSL.

Can anyone help? Can provide more details if necessary.

Thanks

18 REPLIES 18
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Not receiving emails

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Email.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@lucywoodd Welcome to the forums.

Who supplies your business broadband? PlusNet or another ISP - TalkTalk, I am guessing from a comment later in the topic.

Who are the emails provided by?

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @lucywoodd and welcome to our Community Forums.

Do the people who try to send you emails get any particular error message?

I'd also second @jab1's question of are you using a Plusnet email address or a third party one?

If you're not using a Plusnet email address, you may be better off going to the provider who supplies it to investigate the cause as we wouldn't be able to see much from our side if that's the case. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
lucywoodd
Hooked

Update:

@jab1 @Gandalf 

I've spoken to my work IT support and we worked out that my IP address is blacklisted by 3 antispam databases. 

Please could someone assist in removing me from these? I tried calling Plusnet support this evening but they were fairly useless. 

I managed to unblacklist myself from 1 of the databases but for the other 3 it says I have to get my ISP (Plusnet) to unblacklist my IP address

Thanks

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @lucywoodd,

I'm sorry to hear about this. I can see that you've not got a Static IP Address with us, so you should be able to change this by rebooting the router. You can ensure the IP Address will change by leaving the router offline for 80+ minutes, so it may be worth turning it off tonight before you go to bed and then back on again tomorrow morning.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
lucywoodd
Hooked

Thanks, @TheMightyAJ but I've changed the IP address before as i had this issue previously. It made no difference, IP address changed but still got blacklisted. Plusnet needs to remove me from the blacklist themselves (I tried to to it - the databases stated that my ISP needs to do it). Tried again with Technical Support just now but the guy there said he didn't understand what to do and it wasn't his problem. Very helpful. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us @lucywoodd. Just to confirm, did you check to make sure the IP Address had changed? Sometimes a short reboot won't do the trick and I can't see any overnight periods of downtime recently.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
lucywoodd
Hooked

Yes, I last changed IP on 29th December. 

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @lucywoodd,

We can see that the same IP address has been in place since the 24th of December - please could you try turning the router off before bed tonight and back on again tomorrow morning to see if this does the trick?

Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Having reread this thread, something is not making sense.  @lucywoodd states that she cannot RECEIVE works emails when connected via the Plusnet net work and that her IP address is backlisted by anti-spam services.

IP address blacklisting only affects the SENDING of emails.

It would be the work's email SMTP servers which will be rejecting the outbound connection.

The actual issue needs to be confirmed here, as issues related to RECEIVING email are very unlikely to be due to the receiver's IP address and anti-spam blacklisting.  It would be helpful to know the details of the three blacklists - some are notoriously wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

lucywoodd
Hooked

My IP Address is in the block 87.115.34.X it is owned by Plusnet.

It is not just my IP that is Blacklisted it is the whole block.

87.115.34.1 Blacklisted by RATS Dyna, SORBS DUHL and Spamhaus ZEN

87.115.34.25 Blacklisted by RATS Dyna, SORBS DUHL and Spamhaus ZEN

87.115.34.75 Blacklisted by RATS Dyna, SORBS DUHL and Spamhaus ZEN

87.115.34.100 Blacklisted by RATS Dyna, SORBS DUHL and Spamhaus ZEN

87.115.34.200 Blacklisted by RATS Dyna, SORBS DUHL and Spamhaus ZEN

The owners of all these blacklisting companies will only accept a whitelisting request from an ISP.

Why will Plusnet not simply request that this happens?

We have been struggling with Plusnet staff who seem to be poorly trained and do not know how to fix this issue.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this is issue please?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Where are you seeing the blacklist notifications?

As advised above blacklist does not impinge on RECEIVING emails. Exactly what error message are you seeing and where when doing what?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

thackie2015
Dabbler

Just had a look at Spamhaus it lists those IP's under the Policy Block which is normal and as previous post says should not affect sending e-mails. Also agree that this should n't impact receiving e-mails.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That’s the very point of the policy block list - it inhibits MX SERVERS relaying email from those IP addresses where customers run their own mail servers. Mail message SUBMISSION CLIENTS can still send mail.

I suggest that the problem is not well defined and the presence of the IP address on the PBL (as might be expected) is being thought to be the issue.