cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No email this morning 10 November

masont
Hooked

Re: Lost/missing email posting - deleted?

It seems to be working for some people - but not for me.

I can send from Thunderbird client, but not download messages, as others have reported above.

I have a "legacy" globalnet email address, and I'd be interested to know if the remaining problems are specific to the various legacy accounts (globalnet, madasafish etc) or if plusnet addresses are still having problems

BCN
Dabbler

Fingers and everything else firmly crossed...  Service seems to be back to the clunky/primitive/hesitant* normal now.  I hope it's reliable now.

* It still needs the major upgrade it has needed for years - and for Plusnet to appreciate customers' requirements, treat the issue seriously, and stop fobbing us off with "it's free, you don't pay for it" (i.e. the implicit "we don't care about this").  But thanks for fixing the issue, at least. 

PeterB1
Rising Star

My Plusnet address is working both send and receive now using Outlook client.

And I can log into webmail for the first time since Tuesday.

imbart
Dabbler

My email stayed live for about 25 minutes I launched it several times and it worked on my desktop, laptop, tablet and through webmail (although webmail very slow} before reverting to the usual "password rejected" situation and packing up to unusable again.

Still not permanently fixed.

fleurh

Re: Email problems

I can't find the post about spam, however I am being told by several people that their messages to my plusnet.com email have been rejected.  I have also received spam rejections when sending email to my husband who also has a plusnet email account.

My worry is that this particular issue isn't being fixed, only the email login problem.

But they must be related because the spam rejections only started since Wednesday and all the verification issues.

Whatever's been changed to solve verification seems to have caused a new spam marker issue.

bendipa1
Dabbler

"Well I've been able to log into webmail this morning and have managed to clear down all the emails that I hadn't been able to get to the last few days."

I'm amazed you can access webmail at all. Most of the time I can't login, and on the rare occasion I can, the page doesn't open properly, or times out before any emails are shown. The login problem has become a lot worse in the past week, but the time-out issue has been around for at least 3 years. I've complained to Plusnet about this issue many times, but nothing has ever been done to fix it. I can safely assume they never will, and feel the time has come to use a different email provider.

I certainly cannot rely on Plusnet as an email provider any more after this latest episode and will have to embark on the drudgery of changing my email address for all the important companies and other people with whom I communicate regularly.

PeterB1
Rising Star

I agree about the 'drudgery' of changing an email address.

It may be I'm just lucky, but for the moment anyway my email (send/receive  via Outlook and webmail) is working normally, so some progress must be being made with a fix behind the scenes.

I'll hang on for a bit in the hope that all this will be sorted out before I take the dreaded plunge and try to inform all my hundred of contacts (personal and commercial) of a change of address. That prospect always feels like jumping off a cliff!

blairatholl
Hooked

Right now, I can send from john-lewis broadband, but cannot receive due to now-typical "Mail server mail.johnlewisbroadband.com responded: Login failed.". It worked sporadically yesterday, so anything that works now might not work in ten minutes. And vice-versa.

Shackman205
Rising Star

My Thunderbird account linked to my freenetname.co.uk mail server (hosted by plusnet) still not working. Still says login failed!

Just fed up now.

kdiment
Rising Star

Re: No email this morning 10 November

After about 90 hours without email, webmail did show me some unread messages this morning, but now just displays
"Server Error: Failed to send FETCH command"
and Thunderbird has shown, and still shows, no sign of working and reports "Login failed".

We could sympathize with your presumably frazzled technicians much more easily if we knew what problem they were trying to solve, how they were solving it, and why it was taking so long. We should be genuinely interested in the story.

Graham007
Hooked

Re: No Email Access

Only now Saturday evening am I am to send and recieve emails in a proper way - have had emails arrive in my outlook box now and again over the last few days but very patchy.

I agree with others that it is very poor that Plusnet have not set out a proper explaination of what happened and what they are going to do to prevent this again. It does seem that Plusnet - now part of BT are under invested and are running services on the cheap, and eventually it shows up in very poor service. I would certainly not recommend Plusnet to anyone. They have had problems with their cheap router provided to us for years - I gave up on mine and got a BT Hub6 in the end. Come on Plusnet you have to provide a better service.

DEP
Hooked

Regarding the question about legacy accounts, that's the aspect that always seems to have baffled PN support people when I've had problems before.  I don't think they're briefed on how it works.  Mine started as Care4free.net, which was taken over by Madasafish, which was taken over by Brightview, which was taken over by Plusnet, which as I understand it has now been taken over by BT.  My user name/email address is still Care4free although I mainly use a free domain suffix I was offered by whichever one of that chain of companies offered it to me.  Mostly my server settings have had to be discovered by laborious trial & error by myself, and they are not the ones that PN advisers have told me to use (those don't work!).  Sadly the numerical outgoing server alternatives kindly offered by contributors here have not worked for me either.
For quite a bit of the week I was receiving some emails on an Android app but neither receiving nor sending on a laptop MS Outlook client.  Today that position has bafflingly reversed, with Outlook finally connecting (on original server settings) but the app now failing to do so.  Meanwhile professional life has been thrown into chaos and I've lost countless hours on laborious workarounds.
Not only do I think customers deserve a more robust technical system (contingency backup regimes, properly trained diagnosticians) and proper customer service/advice (as opposed to almost zero), I think we should in due course be given access to a full public evaluation of everything that went wrong here, and an explanation of what lessons are being acted on for the future.

PeterB1
Rising Star

I wonder if the frazzled technical people are sorting out Plusnet addreses first (which wouldn;t be entirely illogical) and that legacy accounts (where different issues presumably arise) will follow?

Is anyone with a  vanilla Plusnet address still having problems?

Maybe I:m just lucky, but I've rarely if ever had difficulty with my vanilla Plusnet email account, so I'm willing to give the guys the benefit of the doubt for now - but yes, it would be really nice if we had more information about what's actually going on.

bendipa1
Dabbler

relay.plus.net once again failing to send emails. Plusnet have to be taking the p1ss. Three solid days of this now. It seems like they are deliberately trying to mess up customers.

EDIT: It is now working on SSL settings (port 587) but not on 'non secure' (port 465).

Flabula
Grafter

My Globalnet email login has finally been working (for the first time in 4 days!) today through Mailwasher. So far today it's worked every time, but the authentication is slow. The Android app on my phone still won't connect to the server though. I've not actually tried sending anything with it since the problems first started in case I can't get at any replies.

I realise Plusnet doesn't charge for the Globalnet email (I used to pay £30/year) but since they own it, it would be nice if they kept it running. It wasn't my choice to get my email from them for free. If they're not going to support it I wish they'd hand it over again to someone who will, instead of just killing off the email account I've been using for more than 20 years!

edit: just tried logging in with Thunderbird and it still fails (incorrect password message), so apparently it only works with Mailwasher today.....