H2a
Dabbler

Re: Email problems

Only impacting people in latter half of alphabet

ive never heard such demonstrably false nonsense

bainhouse
Dabbler

Email Problem

Despite numerous attempts during the past 48 hours, i cannot sent out any of my emails using microsoft office 365.    i able to receive my emails but not send.  please could someone tell me what the correct port is for sending out emails.   I have tried smtp.plus.net and relay.plus.net but still no joy - getting very exasperated and exhausted now.   Am not a techie geek.

Think will now swop providers as Plusnet has greatly let me down after many years of using them.

Moderators Note: All caps title removed as per Forum rules

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: EMAIL PROBLEM

@bainhouse Your old settings are correct - the inability to send is affecting many (most?) users and is a consequence of the original mail service failure.

John
Wackystrat989

Port 25 or 587. Some people have mentioned on posts this morning that port 587 has allowed them to send emails again. Worth a try.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Wackystrat989 Interesting, as my sending port is 587, and it still doesn't work.

John
Wackystrat989

Ah, Maybe not then. Just read a few posts which mentioned it is all.
_nite

Re: No Email Access

Same here, can receive emails since yesterday morning, but cannot send (SMTP port 587). Currently is just hanging when trying to connect, but have seen various errors come up over the last 24 hours.

jonnyfriendly
Grafter

I'm afraid port 587 is not working for me though was up to a few days ago when this problem started

I'm on Outlook for mac.

When will PN acknowledge scale and seriousness of this problem and start to communicate

effectively and regularly with customers - giving details and possible fixes (if any)

Many people on here have some understanding of technical issues and don't appreciate being treated as 'mushrooms'.

jezport
Dabbler

Mine seems to be fixed. Hope it stays that way!

Harold1066
Grafter

Re: Not able to send emails

You are lucky - just tried again - still get the same error message. There are no updates on the thread mentioned above or on the Plusnet service status page where the last update is 4:30pm yesterday.

Could someone at Plusnet please update the Service status page - at least we will know that they are still working on it - rather than assuming that their latest attempts to fix it had worked.

PhilipHeyes
Dabbler

relay.plus.net  - it would be a huge help if failed SMTP server 212.159.9.107 was taken out of the DNS lookup until it is fixed.

mikeb
Rising Star

Ditto with all the other 212.159.9.xxx servers that are similarly not accessible and/or just not accepting connections Wink

That way, not only would PN customers be able to send mail without unnecessary hassle or having to tweak settings, but they would also be able to access their webspace via ftp consistently and everyone else in the world would be able to access plusnet hosted websites reliably into the bargain !

DNS changes are probably way more than a bit late in day now given propagation times etc.unless PN is expecting this nonsense to carry on for several more days/weeks/months/whatever of course.   One has to wonder if PN have perhaps tried to quietly decommision or move a data centre or something here rather than it just being some totally random network/equipment fault ... either way, it sure isn't because of email login problems, that's almost certainly just another symptom of the *real* problem Tongue

B T Plusnet, a bit kinda like P T Barnum ...

... but quite often appears to feature more clowns Tongue
BCN
Dabbler

Appears partly resolved here, but barely, still very problematic - the same as yesterday evening - I can get in on the webpage but it takes multiple attempts, frozen pages, always taking 30 seconds to a minute to load even if it manages to; the same on then trying to view an individual email, the same on replying to an email.  Each of those attempts succeeds roughly one in three times only.  Still almost useless.  I wonder what the service update will say at 9am - clearly they still haven't fixed the problem fully. 

davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

My email client (Thunderbird) was set to port 110 in ,so after the issues yesterday I followed the PN set up instructions and changed to port 995. Nothing downloaded last night or this morning so I changed back - all of the emails I could see on Webmail have now arrived !!  Don't pretend to understand the technicalities but .....

blairatholl
Hooked

John Lewis Broadband, run by PlusNet, also down

I retained my PlusNet email when I moved to John Lewis Broadband, for several good reasons.

This morning, PlusNet seems to be working again - I've just been able to send an email for the first time since Wednesday. (Inbox is perhaps now restored but I do think stuff has been lost.)

But at the moment, John Lewis Broadband's webmail service is "currently unavailable" and usung T'Bird to check inbox: "Sending of password for user xxxxx did not succeed. Mail server mail.johnlewisbroadband.com responded: Temporary problem, please try again later."

This account is my 'current' account for which I pay as part and parcel of my broadband/email/phone package, so this lack of service for three days now is a serious event. I also have a legacy waitrose account and that isn't working either. I believe there are other legacy domains, e.g. madasafish.

I would appreciate some reassurance that PlusNet is continuing with the provision of non-plusnet domains run by PlusNet as current business or legacy business. If I check my John Lewis Broadband Service Status, I get only the message that PlusNet email, thus

"Most customers should now be able to log in their Plusnet email, however they may experience a delay when sending and receiving emails. Plusnet emails can be accessed using an email client or App as normal."

It's not only wrong telling John Lewis Broadband customers that another email service is basically working, it's also 100% untrue the John Lewis Broadband is working - it is not. This is the message:

"Service Unavailable

The service is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later."

The lack of communication has been more than disappointing. It's truly unacceptable. And sad.