New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: New Windows 10 eMail App Settings

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: Townman
However what if one has a domain name?  I guess that the login will not work using bob@yourdomain.co.uk.

Good question and no, it won't.

Turns out, I may have been wrong. I've just tried logging into Webmail using a hosted domain email address, and it works perfectly fine! Shocked
This means that you can replace the incoming username with the domain email address (rather than the .plus.com one), and emails you send will appear at the recipient's side as having been sent from the domain and not the plus.com address.
Quote from: spraxyt
If a folder called Sent Items is created alongside the existing Sent, do sent messages go into the new folder?

You're assuming Windows 10 Mail actually allows you to create folders Grin

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: Bob
You're assuming Windows 10 Mail actually allows you to create folders Grin

No I assumed users would do this using webmail, or almost any other email client which isn't so inept. Cheesy
David
lkj96

I think I have tried every combination of settings for Windows 10 Mail and the best I can get is to "receive" using pop3. I have not found a way to "send". I think I am going to give up for now as I have wasted too much time - although I hate to be defeated! May be I will come back to it in the future. Mozilla works fine so I will stick with that for now. Thanks for trying to help.
wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

lkj96
I don't use Windows mail, but there is a known problem with Outlook on some upgraded machines see http://www.msoutlook.info/question/cannot-send-after-windows-10-upgrade
The solution that works is to open an administrative command prompt and run sfc /scannow, let it complete then reboot. It is not reported as an issue with Windows mail - but you never know.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: lkj96
I think I have tried every combination of settings for Windows 10 Mail and the best I can get is to "receive" using pop3. I have not found a way to "send". I think I am going to give up for now as I have wasted too much time - although I hate to be defeated! May be I will come back to it in the future. Mozilla works fine so I will stick with that for now. Thanks for trying to help.

I'm surprised the settings I've provided t work with POP3 because you can't use your full email address when authenticating with the POP3 servers:
~$ telnet mail.plus.net 110
Trying 212.159.9.81...
Connected to mail.plus.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK Hello there.
user mailbox@bobpullen.plus.com
+OK Password required.
pass ********
-ERR Login failed.

It only works when using IMAP:
~$ telnet imap.plus.net 143
Trying 212.159.8.86...
Connected to imap.plus.net.
Escape character is '^]'.
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION] Courier-IMAP ready. Copyright 1998-2011 Double Precision, Inc.  See COPYING for distribution information.
. login mailbox@bobpullen.plus.com ********
. OK LOGIN Ok.

It still sounds to me like you're not using your full email address as the incoming server username Undecided

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Right, bit of a spanner in the works it seems. I've encountered a couple of accounts that simply will not auth against the IMAP servers using the full email address (@lkj96, you're *not* one of these). I'm looking into it, however in the meantime I've added a caveat to my post here.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

I think I have tried every combination of settings for Windows 10 Mail and the best I can get is to "receive" using pop3. I have not found a way to "send". .

I followed the instructions Bob Pullen gave in reply #15 ( IMAP ) and everything works for me - except that sent messages are confined to the computer that sends them.
lkj96

Thank you Wisty, I tried your suggestion but still no luck "sending".
Bob, you are right; for pop3 I used just my username rather than full email.
My son reminded me that we did get IMAP working but again we had to keep to the "Username" as (@) username - not the full email address. Also we set the port to imap.plus.net:143.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Bob, you are right; for pop3 I used just my username rather than full email.

Which will stop you from being able to send. I can't think of a simple workaround to get POP3 working.
My son reminded me that we did get IMAP working but again we had to keep to the "Username" as (@) username - not the full email address. Also we set the port to imap.plus.net:143.

Try configuring IMAP again, using your full email address as the username. I've made some changes to your account and I reckon it will work now.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

So to summarize that current state of play with the Windows 10 mail app:

• POP3 will not work.

• IMAP will work for many/most Plusnet clients if set-up as instructed in reply #15.

Is that correct?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

• POP3 will not work because you cannot authenticate using your full email address.

• IMAP will work if you can authenticate with your full email address (best way to establish whether or not you can is to try loggin into Webmail using your full email address as the username).

• Not all accounts are capable of authenticating with the full email address and I'm currently trying to establish why this is./li]

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

It's a long shot but you don't suppose a colon would work in the same way that it does to specify a port?  So email address:login ID where the two are not the same? 
lkj96

At last, thank you Bob, you have worked the miracle! What did you do? 
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I renamed your default mailbox so it matches the email address you're trying to use to log on with. This doesn't change how things work (because you have catch-all switched on) but it seems to have allowed you to authenticate with the email address you're using Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: ReedRichards
It's a long shot but you don't suppose a colon would work in the same way that it does to specify a port?   

I experimented with this but could not get it to work.  The problem, to my limited understanding, is that any sane email program will store your email address and your email login ID separately (in case they are different).  Windows 10 mail App might do this too, for all we know, but there is no known means of telling it and without this the app. assumes your email address is your email login ID.