Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kindle Fire HD Email: Unable to open server connections

Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Kindle Fire HD Email: Unable to open server connections

A friend who is also a PNet cust is having problem with email on Kindle Fire HD. Few days ago device started failing to connect for email. Gets yellow banner saying "unable to open server connections (PNet username then shown). Things have been running ok since originally set up over a year ago. Rest of internet connection fine on device. Would appreciate any advice before I go round to try & sort it out. Embarrassed
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Kindle Fire HD Email: Unable to open server connections

Hi there,
Are they having problems sending or receiving email or both maybe?
Was there anything specific else mentioned in the error message?
It it's just a problem sending mail I'm wondering if they were perhaps trying to do so on a non-Plusnet connection, if so they'd need to set up SMTP (the protocol used for outbound email) authentication.
Nothing for Kindle Fire I'm afraid but we have guides for other devices showing you how to change that here: http://www.plus.net/support/email/setup/index.shtml
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Hi Adam. I forgot to mention that email is being received & sent ok via their laptop it's just on the Kindle. Both over their home PNet connection. At moment don't know whether they can send email from Kindle or whether it's just receiving that's down. Hope to get round to look at it in next few days. I know they had taken Kindle away on holiday recently & used it wirelessly but think it was initially ok on their return. Hopefully know more when I get round to see device in next couple of days. Thanks for advice so far.
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Got things sorted now. All email settings looked ok but was still getting "unable to connect to server" banner. So, deleted PNet email a/c from Kindle then manually reinstalled. Success after couple of attempts. All seems ok now. Don't know what caused original glitch. Think there had been some sort of software update recently as friend said appearance of email app changed slightly so perhaps this was the culprit. Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Given that your friend is using email on several clients, I hope they are all IMAP so that all devices can see all received and all SENT email, regardless of the sending client?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Grezzer36
Rising Star

Hi Townman. Yes they are IMAP a/c's. Everything still working as normal.  Smiley