cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I make my emails more secure?

philipn

How can I make my emails more secure?

I use Thunderbird for emails, and all that seems to work in the settings is 'password transmitted insecurely'. This doesn't seem very safe to me, how can I improve things using settings that Plusnet supports?

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: How can I make my emails more secure?

Hi @philipn, Welcome to the forum. The short answer is you can't, well not until Plusnet enable an SSL email server.

philipn

Thank you, Mook, at least I know now that there is nothing else I can do!

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are welcome, it is on Plusnet's 'todo' list but it's quite a long list so there is no known time scale for it.

toggie101
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Sadly it's been on their 'todo' list for maybe 10 years...

• Bob said in 2009: "You'll be pleased to hear that SSL on the mail collection platform should be pretty easy to implement since we put new load balancers in front of the mail platform."
  • Bob said in 2014: "We recognise that SSL/TLS is something customers want us to implement. As I think has been mentioned before though, the work isn't as trivial as some may think and it needs prioritising alongside other deliverables." When someone later questioned the likelihood of this happening for 'at least a year', Bob responded "Ye of little faith Wink"

It's very nearly 2019...

Consequently I've given up all hope SSL/TLS will ever be implemented.

On a positive note, at least Plusnet still provide a supported email service, no matter how insecure accessing it could be, or how inconvenient the current solution ie. use webmail when accessing via open/mistrusted WiFi networks.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.