cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forgotten imap password needed for Outlook on Android

winks2050
Dabbler

Forgotten imap password needed for Outlook on Android

For some reason, after the latest update on my android phone Outlook is requiring me to input all the imap and smtp details again plus the password. So long since I've used that I've forgotten! How can I get it reset?

16 REPLIES 16
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Forgotten imap password needed for Outlook on Android

@winks2050 

The password is the same as you use to log into your Plusnet account. If you've forgotton that use the forgotten password field on the Member Centre log in page.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

If this was yesterday afternoon it’s more than likely the password prompt was due to server timeouts.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

winks2050
Dabbler

Thanks Baldrick, I thought that was the password so tried it (and I know I entered the correct pw), but it still won't accept it. Wondering whether to uninstall the app and reinstall? Noticed Outlook had another update this morning, was hoping that might correct an error their end but no..........🤦‍♂️

winks2050
Dabbler

Thanks, but problem is still there this morning 😒

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@winks2050 is it the default mailbox (accountname.plus.com) or an additional mailbox (someone@accountname.plus.com) that you're trying to access ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

winks2050
Dabbler

Hi, it's an additional email account I'm trying to access, I've the Outlook app set up on my android phone for over a year with no problems so not sure what's going on. I now know the pw I'm entering is correct but no joy. I see they have had server issues over the last 24hrs, could my problem resolve itself?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That depends!!

If the issue was related to yesterday's authentication issues, then it will resolve itself.

There is some possibility that the mailbox has been compromised and it has had its password change by Plusnet security to protect the whole of the email platform.

Reset email password

Which ISP are you with, Plusnet or one of the other / legacy vISPs?

Are you able to login to the email address using webmail? If not then it is likely that your email address has been identified as being compromised and has has its password changed.

You can only change the password on your DEFAULT email address by changing the password on the ACCOUNT through the user portal. You can change the password on a secondary mailbox using the Manage My Mail options in the user portal.

MAAF users logging into webmail should use their full email address. Use the MAAF user portal to update the password on the default email address (change the account password) and use this MAAF guide to change the password on a secondary mailbox address.

DO NOT USE THE SAME PASSWORD AGAIN for that would allow the continued exploitation of the account. The new password should be cryptic and not one used before.

Note that changing the account password will change the password used for logging on to the user portal AND that required by the router to connect to the internet. If the router is a Hub Zero or a Hub One supplied by Plusnet it should update automatically. If not, you will need to log into the router, drop the connection, change the password and reconnect.

On the assumption that the email address password has been compromised, I strongly recommend that wherever you have used that email address / password combination as access credentials to services such as Amazon, Netflix, eBay etc., that you also change the passwords on those service as well.

winks2050
Dabbler

Townman, many thanks for your comprehensive reply. Yes I can log into Webmail using my original password so no problem there. Can I assume my password hasn't been compromised then? My ISP is Plusnet.  My next step I think is to uninstall the Outlook app and reinstall it, and then see if I can access my emails.

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

I have the same issue, existing IMAP account working fine on Outlook for Android, suddenly it asks for password details (but requires full account settings to be re-entered), enter correct details and it won't authenticate.

Had exactly this a year or two ago and it fixed itself with a further update of the Outlook App.

Current problem first appeared on version 4.1.104, updated again to 4.1.105 and problem still there.

My issue is with the main account, not an additional one (so not an issue with 'username+mailbox' format in my case).

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
winks2050
Dabbler

W23, I'm not the only one then!  It's definitely since the last two updates as you say. I can access my emails from my laptop fine, so maybe I'll hang on until Outlook put out a fix update. 

Thanks everyone for your help on this, eased my frustration  for sure!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@winks2050 wrote:

Yes I can log into Webmail using my original password so no problem there. Can I assume my password hasn't been compromised then? My ISP is Plusnet.

If you can log into the account using webmail then you know the password - it has not been changed for any security reason by a third party (Plusnet security).

That leaves three possibilities...

1. The Android has network connectivity issues and is just not able to contact the IMAP server
  2. The IMAP server is not able to verify your account credentials (that was a general issue yesterday afternoon)
  3. The Outlook app has twisted it knicker elastic! There are a lot of reports of this issue out there.

See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/all/outlook-app-keeps-asking-for-sign-in/ac0adc11... - therein there is a suggestion of MS pointing at Google.  Personally I'd always opt to an iPhone - but that does not solve your issue.  I suggest that you do a Google search on "outlook on android keeps asking for password" and browse the results.

I have no experience of Android phones ... beyond occasionally trying to help friends and not having a clue in its totally unintuitive user interface!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@w23 

My issue is with the main account, not an additional one (so not an issue with 'username+mailbox' format in my case).

--------------------------

I do not think this has anything to do with the target email account.  From what I have just read, it looks like a wide spread issue being encountered by many users across a lot of email platforms.  My take would be Outlook Profile corruption.  It happens sometimes on PC and running Outlook in safe mode (outlook.exe /safe) invariably fixes things.  I have no idea if such is available on Android implementations.

winks2050
Dabbler

Towman, well you've made me laugh anyway! Sounding like Google and MS having a fight over who's at fault with the knicker elastic twisting then. I may just wait out a while and keep my fingers crossed. Or abandon using Outlook! I'm afraid I'm an android person (just to annoy my kids! 😂🤣😂)

Thanks again for your knowledge and advice, much appreciated

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I use K9 mail on my Android devices. However it doesn't play well with recent iterations of Android's battery saving mechanisms on some devices.