Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reducing mailbox size

wjhd
Hooked

Reducing mailbox size

Hoping someone can help me please.

I keep receiving a message saying my mailbox is too large.

I don't know how to resolve this.

I have tried to delete emails but it seems to be very slow.  I pick up my email regularly on my PC and mobile and have all of my emails in Outlook in folders on my PC and archive them regularly, should they still be on the server?  Can't I take them off the server and keep them on my computer without them causing an issue, or do I need to permanently delete messages from my PC?

Apologies for my lack of knowledge!

Thanks

17 REPLIES 17
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: Reducing mailbox size

To see what is currently stored on the server, login to the webmail @ https://webmail.plus.net

There may well be lots of emails in the trash folder, best start there and empty it out. If there’s more than 1,000 emails in the inbox you might need to look into it. Also check the archive emails haven’t been stored on the server accidentally.
That's RPM to you!!
wjhd
Hooked

Thanks, I keep logging in and trying to empty folders (really old stuff) but it just starts to buffer and if I refresh they are all still there.  It's taking sooo long.

Some messages are greyed out, does that mean they are already archived?  I can't seem to delete them...

RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

I believe the greyed out ones are marked as deleted. They’re not quite the same as actually deleted emails (i.e. moved to trash) but they should disappear as soon as the inbox list is ‘compacted’.
The webmail does take its time with large amounts of mail, just leave it to complete if you have time.
That's RPM to you!!
Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @wjhd,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with the size of your mailbox and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

I'm afraid we have no tools this side to mass delete emails, nor do we have the feature for customers to mass delete emails themselves. I would suggest keeping the inbox at below 750mb.

Thanks.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@wjhd 

You refer to Outlook - there are lots of versions and they each behave quite differently - particularly in respect of how deleted items are managed.  Only Outlook 2013 onwards does that half reasonably!

@RPMozley 

Webmail (the browser base round cube interface) does indeed take a lot of time if the folder sort option is anything other than "none".

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

@wjhd If you're collecting your mail on Outlook using IMAP, the emails will stay on webmail until you delete the emails from the inbox either on Outlook or webmail. Realise that webmail can be quite slow if you've got a lot in your mailbox.

If you've archived your mail in Outlook, you should be able to delete emails from the regular inbox folder while retaining what's in the archive. Another option assuming you are using IMAP, would be to set up your emails in Outlook using POP3.

You'd then be able to set things up in a way that your emails will automatically be deleted from webmail once Outlook gets a copy of the message. It'd then be solely stored on your computer in your Outlook inbox, not on webmail/our server.

If you're already using POP3 then I'd recommend checking that the option to "Leave a copy of messages on the server" is unticked. There's a little more information Here about this. 

Hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tjmckee
Hooked

I am getting the message below, but have failed to find "personal settings" to click.  I have tries phoning and emailing without success and have had to try this route.

I suspect it relates to a past version of the system?

We're letting you know you have now used more than 75% of your mailbox capacity, and you need to take action to reduce the size of your mailbox. If your overall mailbox size is larger than the 1GB allocated amount, we may have to archive your largest mailbox to bring you under the 1GB limit.

The reason we do this is because large mailboxes can have an adverse effect on other users on the platform.

To help you reduce the overall size, here's a list of your largest mailboxes -

Mailbox Size
default 410.784 MB
angel 235.9 MB
tbacku 153.224 MB
Total 799.912 MB

It’s easy to keep track of your usage on Webmail. Just follow these steps
1. Click Personal Settings.
2. Then choose Folders.
3. Click on the folder you want to check.
4. To see the size of the folder, choose Click to get folder size.

Please don't hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 if we can be of help.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Indeed, those instructions are not clear at all!!

1. This refers to options under webmail - see webmail.plus.net
  2. Log into the mailbox
  3. The option you want is SETTINGS (there is no personal settings option)
  4. Select FOLDER tab
  5. Select the folder on the left panel
  6. Select the INFORMATION tab
  7. Click the "Click to get folder size" link

@JonoH @JW - can the guidance in the FUP waring email be reviewed please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

tjmckee
Hooked

Thank you. I have been floundering as I was not certain where to go and what I would find.  What a shame that the suggested phone number and email could not answer this over recent weeks. Much appreciated

JW
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 24

@Townman  I've added a task to our internal queue so that we can review the content of the message. I can't give a time frame for that at present though.

Jon W
 Plusnet
Lerk

I've recently started getting these mails too. I thought I'd cracked this issue a couple of years ago by setting up an archive - but it doesn't appear to have worked (well the last email I can see on my IMAP device is the last unarchived message, but I've just got another >750MB reminder).

Last time I cleared my mailbox by setting up a pop3 account and downloading the lot - but as an IMAP user this rendered my email history inaccessible other than through my laptop so I'm loathed to do that again.

Webmail portal only shows 540 pages of messages back to the start of the year so I can't even manually delete the oldest messages.

Any ideas?

tjmckee
Hooked

The guidance above let me find  size of  one file.  nearly 4000 emails and 400MB.

I gave up keeping attachments - so I sorted by size.  It tends give "file error" once or twice but works in the end.

The boxes underneath let me select the current "page" about 40 items  which I then deleted.

They went into the deleted folder, so I went to that and did the same to that. It save me 200MB so I hope I will stop getting the messages.

That is the best I could do.  There was one I want to keep, so I forwarded it to another email address - and had to then also delete it in the sent items.  I agree with the guidance I got from customer support. In essence "Our system is very old and not really fir for purpose. Why not use Google or Microsoft?"  I do not want to use google or microsoft. May resport to a payed for service (IONOS, ex 1and1) for example.  Good luck. Be patient The webmail system here crashes with large folders.

Lerk

Aha!

I realised I have two sent items folders... 
One of which had mails from 2008 in it!

Deleted these old sent messages (400MB) so hopefully should be ok now

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@tjmckee wrote:

I agree with the guidance I got from customer support. In essence "Our system is very old and not really fir for purpose. Why not use Google or Microsoft?"  I do not want to use google or microsoft. May resport to a payed for service (IONOS, ex 1and1) for example.  Good luck. Be patient The webmail system here crashes with large folders.

That depends on what is seen as the purpose of an email system.  Email was never really intended to be a file sharing and distribution system.  One might argue that using email to share massive attachments is not proficient or sensible.  A more practical approach is to palace such content into a file sharing system and then share a link to that content via email.

Similarly solely accessing email via a webmail client is not "owning" the content; accessing email via a 'proper' email client which allows one to "off-line" and archive old emails.

What is your objection to Google or Outlook?  Google I agree would not be my preference, but (aside from one cannot use one's own domain name) is a good solution, especially if conjoined with OneDrive for storing and sharing large files.