cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to fetch

julieshires

Failed to fetch

Hi.  My mailbox is nearly full but I can't delete emails because I can't open the inbox.  I keep getting the Failed to Fetch command.  Have tried multiple times at different times of the day over the last couple of days.

4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 429

Re: Failed to fetch

Moderator’s Note

This topic has been moved from Broadband to Email

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

pvmb
Pro
Fixes: 3

...I have been experiencing the same issue over recent days. It not infrequently gets into this state and all you can do is keep on trying. Possibly at off peak times(?). Eventually it will work. Not much help I'm afraid. 😞

archerry
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

As previously stated, the Plusnet mail servers are a world of pain for us users.

There are a couple of things you can try to mitigate this.

The first thing to try is to delete any sort filters applied:

To the left of the 'subject' bar are two symbols (see attached screen grab) click on the left-most one; select 'None' at the top of the 'sorting column' column, then click 'save'.

The other is to try the "Squirrelmail" server: https://webmail.plus.net/squirrelmail/src/login.php
Instead of the "Standard mail" server: https://webmail.plus.net/

Hope this helps

Alistair

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

Culling mailbox contents

If you need to clean out your mailbox, may be because it is over quota, then as well as tidying up the inbox, you need to also look at the SENT ITEMS folder and then afterwards clear out the TRASH folder. However some times webmail performance can make this process very tedious, particularly if the delete action (actually a move to the trash folder) fails.

If you primarily want to delete emails, you can mitigate delete performance issues by doing an "immediate" delete (rather than a move to trash for deletion later) by holding down the SHIFT key when pressing the DEL key. This works in both webmail and most PC based email clients. WARNING SHIFT+DEL is not recoverable so be certain absolutely, that you do not need the email before pressing the buttons!

Alternatively, in webmail (Round Cube) Settings -> Server Settings there are some options worth exploring controlling how deletes are performed...

1. Flag the message for deletion instead of delete
  2. If moving messages to "Deleted Items" fails, permanently delete them
  3. Compact Inbox on logout

Setting these options and using them together will avoid the over heads of moving items to the trash folder when you wish to delete them. They will simply be greyed out and remain in the inbox list. After logging out of webmail, they will then be removed from the mailbox.

Whilst this might be highly proficient, it needs to be used with care, for when they are gone, they are gone. Note also that Plusnet house-keeping clears out the trash folder weekly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.