cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

Spruce01
Grafter

Re: Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

Spoke too soon. Two just bounced straight back!

Will continue with seeking explanations.

John

Chris31
Dabbler

I have been having exactly the same problem and on reading your post I tried again and succeeded to get an email through to a gmail account. However when I replied to the kind person who I keep bothering the reply email was bounced back with exactly the same message

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** xxxx@gmail.com ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

Christine

warley16

Hi, did this get resolved? Cant send anything via my macmail, or iphone email. Cant have just tried plusnet webmail and email seemed to send. Did anyone find a solution?

Thanks

Chris31
Dabbler

Hi, for me it seems to be a gmail problem in that it doesn't want to recognise secondary accounts i.e it accepts emails from username@globalnet.co.uk but not from wife@username.globalnet.co.uk or husband@username.globalnet.co.uk. As long as we use username@globalnet.co.uk for gmail email addresses all is ok and no bouncing back.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@Chris31 

To be clear here, are you talking about emails being sent from the forum service ... or something else?

There is a known problem with emails being sent by the forum service to gmail mailboxes, but your post seems to infer a different scenario.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris31
Dabbler

Sorry, I have no idea what the forum service is. can you explain?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

This place where you are posting - the forum - sends out notification emails if a user's preference is set to do so.  These emails are sent by a different server to the email environments you referred to.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris31
Dabbler

I am talking about emails sent from my email client - apple mail

Spruce01
Grafter

Just for the record this problem has not gone away but I have decided to give up on my globalnet account and am migrating to gmail.

kdiment
Rising Star

I do hope a solution can soon be found to this annoying and apparently variable problem. As others have reported, I had another (seemingly incomplete) bounce message today:

Delivery to the following recipients failed permanently:

* recipientname@gmail.com

Reason: A message that you sent to the following recipient could not be delivered due to a permanent error. ** The remote server ?? responded with: ** recipientname@gmail.com ??:?? This message was created automatically by mail delivery software on the server .

Reporting-MTA: dns; avasout-ptp-002 [84.93.230.235]
Received-From-MTA: dns; [192.168.1.3] [80.229.252.3]
Arrival-Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 21:14:48 +0100

Final-recipient: rfc822; recipientname@gmail.com
Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This message does not have authentication information or fails to

Last-attempt-Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2022 21:14:49 +0100

I did find a way of contacting Google about this problem, but got no real help. I was sent masses of cut-and-pasted information which was not quite relevant, and they must have thought I was an ISP since they asked for the range of IP addresses I was responsible for, and a lot of technical stuff that I could barely understand.

Will someone please explain in simple terms the settings I ought to have in Thunderbird to make emails sent via relay.plus.net acceptable to gmail recipients?

onlymeok
Dabbler

I have exactly the same problem and reported in another thread, plusnet need to look into this as it only affects sending to @gmail accounts.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Strange - I send to an '@gmail' account on a daily basis, and have problem?

John
onlymeok
Dabbler

Hi @jab1

Do you send emails via Plusnet Webmail or by using something like Outlook, Thunderbird or even Bluemail on Android, as anything I've setup using relay.plus.net will just not get through to any xxxxx@gmail.com accounts. If I send emails to other email addresses everything is fine, I just don't understand why gmail accounts are being blocked.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@onlymeok I send via Thunderbird. Just has a thought, though - because I use my laptop at various places, am using authentication, to allow me to send from different networks whilst out and about - wonder if this may be relevant?

John
onlymeok
Dabbler

@jab1, yes I also use authentication for relay.plus.net, port 587, encryption STARTTLS, which is required when using your mobile phone out and about to send emails.