Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: Emails sent to gmail account undeliverable

@Spruce01, I've been reading over this and "john@myaccount.globalnet.co.uk" isn't an e-mail address that exists on our side. That format of e-mail address is used for Plusnet accounts, rather than Madasafish brands (Globalnet).

The format should be username@globalnet.co.uk, or if you have a domain name attached to the account, then username@domain. If you have additional mailboxes setup for the domain, then it'd be anything@domain.

Let me know if I've misunderstood? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Spruce01
Grafter

Hi thanks.

you can tell by the fact that I have a globalnet account that I have been using it this way for many many years.

the prime email address is of course username@globalnet.co.uk but you always could use name@username.globalnet.co.uk with as many ‘names’ to create accounts as you wished so you could direct incoming emails to different individuals. You are always using the base username account in the server settings.  This has always worked until last week. Incoming mail is not affected and outgoing mail from that account is fine except it fails if it is to a gmail account. 

I have mentioned before that I also started getting certificate warnings about the server at the same time.

it might be helpful to know what the recommended settings are for a globalnet pop account as various seem to work including plus.net server as well as globalnet and several ports seem to work as well. I have only discovered this by trying lots of options to see if I could find settings that worked. No settings had been changed in the run in to this problem so don’t think that is the answer but just thinking there should be an optimum. 

it is almost as if gmail has suddenly started to not like emails coming from this address but it is odd that it responds by saying that the particular gmail address you are sending to has a permanent error.

hope this makes sense? 

Thanks for looking at this.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Yep, I’m not doubting that.

Surprisingly, this is news to me. 

If you use the same account username in the server settings, that suggests the extra e-mail addresses direct to the same mailbox, so it works a bit like a ‘catch all’ without actually creating a new mailbox. Is that right?

Or do e-mails to john@username.globalnet.co.uk go to a different inbox than username@globalnet.co.uk?

While the legacy Globalnet mail servers will work:

Brand Incoming Server (POP3)
Port 110
Incoming Server (IMAP)
Port 143
Outgoing Server (SMTP)
Port 25 or 587
Username Format Secondary Format Email Address Format Mail Capacity
Globalnet mail.globalnet.co.uk smtpmail.
globalnet.co.uk
[full email address] [username]@
globalnet.co.uk
250MB

The Plusnet ones will also work for Madasafish/Globalnet. Nowadays I personally favour them and I’d say they’re the ‘optimum’ because they support secure authentication. You can find the details here > https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email/

Reading back, you say you can e-mail the Gmail address from an IMAP account, but not POP3 because the IMAP one uses the format of username@globalnet.co.uk. What happens if you delete the IMAP account and set it up to send mail as john@username.globalnet.co.uk?

Is it just the e-mails from john@ which are bouncing or anything@username.globalnet.co.uk?

Also, let’s see if we can rule out the mail client. Login to webmail.plus.net, click on Settings > Identities, then change the e-mail address to john@username.globalnet.co.uk which should mean you’ll be sending as this through webmail. Once that’s changed, create a new e-mail, check the sending e-mail address is that, then try sending it to a Gmail address. 

One more thing, can you send mail OK from your domain addresses or do they bounce to Gmail as well?

Let me know how it goes. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Stewmu

I am just joining this conversation because I also am unable to send to any gmail email recipients, getting a bounce back email within seconds - permanent error message Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This message does not have authentication information or fails to

I am Using Thunderbird email client - POP and SMTP server relay.plus.net (no authorisation) on a PlusNet Internet connection from a Claranet email address.

This issue started last Friday or Saturday 12 March 2022. All other emails send OK, so it seems that Google is rejecting emails from the PlusNet SMTP server all of a sudden.

Email sent to gmail recipients from webmail work fine.

NOTE - I have looked at family members that use similar setups except are not using plusnet SMTP server, and they are working fine.

Do you have any suggestions what is happening here as it is causing no end of problems for me.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @Stewmu

If you can private message me a full copy of the headers of the original e-mail you've tried to send that was rejected, I can raise a NetOps task to take a closer look from our side. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Pat52

I also have this issue which I reported to Plusnet Technical nearly 2 weeks ago and was told you could not help as it was a Gmail issue.

Can you help me resolve ths issue.  I use a a john-lewis.com account.  Get the issue when I use email client and Webmail.

Pat

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Pat52 

I’d recommend contacting support again through the methods here > https://www.johnlewisbroadband.com/contact-us/ because I’m afraid as staff I can’t help you via the Plusnet Community forums. I’m really sorry for the issues. 

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Spruce01
Grafter

Thanks for this.

yes you are spot on. The extra email addresses direct mail to the same username@globalnet.co.uk mailbox but by sending from that name@username.globalnet.co.uk  email address when replied to it comes into the parent account but can then be directed using rules to the appropriate folder and any not for that person deleted.

it is emails from anything@username.globalnet.co.uk to any gmail address that fail to deliver.

I have not had chance to experiment as you suggest but will do over next couple of days and revert.

john

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Ah makes sense. No problem and sounds like a plan John. Let me know how it goes. I’m genuinely intrigued. 

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Pat52

Sorry misunderstood your role.  Advice you gave to another user mislead me.  I will try support again but having been rebuffed twice i do not hold out much hope.

Support from Plusnet used to be good but this last encounter makes me doubt.

Pat

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No problem Pat, and I’m really sorry for the confusion. 

I can help those with Plusnet accounts, but not John Lewis via our Community forums. Though I appreciate that we provide the support for John Lewis, we only do through the ways given on their contact us page.

Our forums though are open to all, so while as staff I can’t help, there may be other folk here able to. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

@Stewmu wrote:

I am just joining this conversation because I also am unable to send to any gmail email recipients, getting a bounce back email within seconds - permanent error message Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550-5.7.26 This message does not have authentication information or fails to

I am Using Thunderbird email client - POP and SMTP server relay.plus.net (no authorisation) on a PlusNet Internet connection from a Claranet email address.

Do you have any suggestions what is happening here as it is causing no end of problems for me.

May be the answer is herein - set authentication on the SMTP server settings.

Also why are you using Plusnet's SMTP relay service for a Clara.net email address?  Clara has their own relay server - see https://www.claranetsoho.co.uk/sites/all/assets/sohouk/Email_FAQ_Support_Guide_1.0.pdf

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

That's exactly what I thought a few moments ago. We don't appear to be registering or hosting the domain. Undecided

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Spruce01
Grafter

Ok so last night everything suddenly started working again as it used to, having made no further changes at all!

I am not counting my chickens though and will still do some of the tests suggested and report back.

Whilst I am relieved in a way, don't you just hate it when you don't get the bottom of a problem?!

I am still on the globalnet server but will try the plusnet one as well.

Let you know how things pan out

Thanks

John

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Definitely puzzling! But I'm glad to see this is sorted for you now John. 

If you have further issues or there's anything else you need help with, feel free to get back to me and I'll be happy to help.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet