cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails blocked from CCTV DVR

SquareEyes

Emails blocked from CCTV DVR

My cctv system has a SMTP email sender linked to a Plusnet mailbox, used for automatic notification of system failures etc. This has been running for over five years without problem, but has recently stopped. I have tried all flavours of SMTP ports and authorisations but no joy. I can send to that mailbox from all my other accounts, and the cctv will send to a Gmail address without problem.

Looking through the forum, it seems like the Plusnet anti-spam system may have decided my cctv is a spam generator and blocked the email output. Does anyone know if it is possible to fix this? I tried deleting the Plusnet mailbox and creating a new one but it didn't help, I guess the spam AI locks onto the MAC address of the machine. The system often sits idle for months, then will generate a series of emails when there is a failure, but this is NOT spam, I need these emails to find the fault. Also, they are directed to a single Plusnet mailbox, so hardly spam.

Is anyone familiar with the Plusnet anti spam system? I am not criticising it - we are all delighted that we get so little spam using Plusnet, but this glitch is really frustrating and needs to be fixed, I don't want to be stuck with Gmail forever!

Any solutions or advice would be appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 399

Re: Emails blocked from CCTV DVR

I guess the spam AI locks onto the MAC address of the machine.

No, it will be seeing the public IP address from which the email is coming. It's usually either that IP marked as suspect OR the email content that's triggering the spam detection.

It might be worth checking and adjusting the SPAM settings for your account in the Member Centre. Login, go to Manage Account, then 'Manage My mail' and click the Spam tab. If 'Discard obvious SPAm' is on, then try with if Off and adjust the other settings as appropriate. Then see if the emails now arrive. Downside is that you might see more spam than before...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

SquareEyes

Re: Emails blocked from CCTV DVR

Thanks for the clarity. I have adjusted the spam settings as you described and will try again after 24 hours to see if it makes a difference.

I was hoping that there might be some sort of reporting system where wrongly blocked IP addresses could be corrected. At the moment it looks like a "computer says no" situation which must affect a lot more people than just me.