cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost email folders, Contacts etc

SA4

Lost email folders, Contacts etc

OK, this started being my fault, but I've ended up being fed up with what used to be excellent customer service by Plusnet.  I stupidle managed to delete key sectors of my hard drive on my laptop. I then reinstalled Windows etc. and set up my emails on Outlook 2010 as before. My Plusnet emails are set up using POP3 and I reloaded this account through Outlook 2010. However, all my folders within the account, Contacts, Tasks and calendar are now missing. Contacted Customer Service to see if they could do anyything to restore these from their end - long conversation, followed by this clarification in writing on question docket: "To clarify - simon@mustoearthur.plus.com - I have been using this account on Outlook 2010 and have had adata loss from the relevant HDD. I have now lost Folders, Contacts, Calendar and Tasks for this account (not able to restore from PST files) and need to see if you can restore these from your server. Pls let me known if any questions Thanks". After about a week I received response - instructions on how to set up webmail access - did not answer my question at all! Have asked the question again, but customer service has really gone downhill - could not speak to tech people and have little faith that my actual question will be answered this time - can anyone answer my original query - is it pos for Plusnet to restore folders within the account, Contacts, Tasks and calendar from their Server end?

8 REPLIES 8
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Lost email folders, Contacts etc

@SA4 The short answer to that, is, I believe, no. The data, is all 'local' to your machine. You could possibly have a look at the webmail interface, but as I very rarely use that facility, I have no idea what data it will contain - certainly not your emails as POP3 will delete them from the server on download.

John
SA4

Thanks very much for your prompt respinse John I was pretty sure that this is he case, but just wanted to be sure that I had it right - if only Plusnet had answered so speedily and simply! I'll leave it at that unless anyone else has other ideas - esp through webmail...... 

jab1
Legend

No problem, @SA4 . Have you checked your webmail to see if it can help?

John
SA4

same situation on webmail - when I phoned Plusnet they got me to check that and I tried then - no luck, so I think they are gone unless anyone has any other ideas on whether they (emals within folders on outlook, contacts etc.) can be recovered....thanks again John

jab1
Legend

OK - it was a last ditch hope and something which there is little in the way of protection. One final thought - do you take regular back-ups of your computer?

John
SA4

yes, of the main PC we have, but not of the laptpop where I lost this data on Outlook - didn't fully understand pop3 account - now backing up on this one too!! 😞

jab1
Legend

Eeek - but understandable, I suppose.😉

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

For the avoidance of doubt, the email service does not store contact or calendar data. Such is always held within the email client, unless an exchange server is involved.

In the case of webmail, contact data is stored in the webmail client, not the mail server. Such being the case, contacts in webmail are not available in other email clients accessing the same mailbox.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.