Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email working

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Email working

I am using Thunderbird and I can send and receive.  I hope this lasts.

6 REPLIES 6
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Re: Email working

Hiya @Alex_Hamilton, I am really pleased your email is working! Thank you for letting us know.

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
stuck
Rising Star

@LaurenB wrote:

...I am really pleased your email is working..

My Outlook client only started sending messages after I applied the workaround of replacing 'relay.plus.net' with '212.159.8.107', as suggested here:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/No-email-this-morning-10-November/m-p/1839045#M36984

Is it safe to undo this edit?

PhilipHeyes
Dabbler

@stuck 

This morning I reverted to SMTP server relay.plus.net as both SMTP servers 212.159.8.107 & 212.159.9.107

were responding & sending emails. So far no errors or issues.

Alex_Hamilton
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi Lauren,

Outlook uses its own servers. Nothing to do with Plus.net and should work provided you have Internet connection. Outlook Servers are:-

IMAP outlook.office365.com Port 993 Encryption TLS

SMTP smtp.office365.com Port 587 Encryption STARTTLS

Similarly, gMail uses Google servers  and should continue to work if you have Internet connection.

I noticed that others have commented that they could not send messages in Outlook.  That is very odd and they should check their settings.

I hope this helps,

Best,

Alex

stuck
Rising Star

@PhilipHeyes wrote:

This morning I reverted to SMTP server relay.plus.net as both SMTP servers 212.159.8.107 & 212.159.9.107

were responding & sending emails. So far no errors or issues.

OK, thank you for that extra information.  I will undo my edit and see what happens.🤞

stuck
Rising Star

@Alex_Hamilton wrote:

Hi Lauren,

Outlook uses its own servers. Nothing to do with Plus.net and should work provided you have Internet connection. Outlook Servers are:-

IMAP outlook.office365.com Port 993 Encryption TLS

SMTP smtp.office365.com Port 587 Encryption STARTTLS

Similarly, gMail uses Google servers  and should continue to work if you have Internet connection.

I noticed that others have commented that they could not send messages in Outlook.  That is very odd and they should check their settings.

I hope this helps,

Best,

Alex

1) I think your comment was meant for me, not Lauren.

2) I think you are confusing outlook.com, i.e. Microsoft's own mail platform that is independent of Plusnet, with the application called Outlook, which is a mail client developed by MS and is part of the MS Office application suite.  As a mail client it can be configured to get mail from Plusnet's mail servers, or indeed anybody else's mail servers.  I and many other use Outlook to do just that.