Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email system failing today

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 258

Re: Email system failing today

That is why I use a proper mail client - they are slightly more robust than webmail, but are still struggling - or at least were this morning/early afternoon when I had mail to collect.

John
Dust27
Dabbler

@jab1 isn't Outlook a proper email client?  It isn't syncing the INBOX though sending seems ok.

Just in case it helps anyone - Squirrelmail (the BASIC option) does show the INBOX contents if I prod refresh enough when it flings up error messages, but only on my mobile. On a laptop I can't get past the errors no matter how often I refresh.

jab1
Legend

@Dust27 Sorry, yes it is a proper client, but if you have it set up as IMAP, it will suffer the issue - don't ask me why IMAP is more picky than POP3 (which I use).

John
Batphone
Rising Star

Been having similar problems today (not logging in, not finding server, not syncing). Customer Support confirms they have been having problems with their e-mail system since this morning and are working on it. At this point they could not indicate how long it will take to resolve.

snowdon
Hooked

IMAP synchronises your client with the server copies whilst with POP it will just down load the emails and delete from the server so there is less traffic and no need to link your local files to the server. If the traffic is being restricted and timing out POP may be able to get through eventually but all the linking under IMAP is certainly failing at present. If you need to access your emails on different platforms ie desktop and mobile then you need the copies on their server. I think there may be a way that you can configure POP to leave a copy on the server but I don't know if this is possible under webmail client.

Guess we all have to wait!!! 

jab1
Legend

@snowdon I know all that, just couldn't be bothered to type. 😉 The way I work, POP3 is perfectly adequate, and if I (very rarely) need to access a particular email received on my laptop away from home, I usually just forward it to my iPad/iPhone.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

I think there may be a way that you can configure POP to leave a copy on the server but I don't know if this is possible under webmail client

webmail is just an IMAP client that runs on a plusnet server that you access via a Web browser

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

It is getting worse - now MailWasher can't even retrieve the email headers. Not good.

John
snowdon
Hooked

I like many have not even been able to retrieve anything all day......

MG56
Hooked

As your are a Superuser with a direct line of communication into Plusnet have you been able to get any sort of response from them on when this IMAP problem with accessing Plusnet hosted email might be resolved and why no one from the support team is responding to any of the issues being raised in this string?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 407

I have requested that the Help team respond here when they have any information

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

remmington1

I been with plusnet webmail since 2003 I think.

I don't want to loose my @plus.com email address after two decades.

But I think we reaching the point when an ISP mail provider just don't cut it in 2023.

When challanged - plusnet reckons its is free and not bothered about it is the responce you get.

Was not free in 2003 - it was part of the package I bought into - now I get the feeling they not too loyal for all the paying I done to them in 20 years ish

jab1
Legend

@remmington1 As I understand it, the email service has always been a 'free' accompaniment to the broadband you actually pay for - I know when I joined in 2012, it was described as a free 'extra'.

John
IanL2

@jab1 , it's difficult to argue that email is "free" as, for me, it played a key part in choosing PN as my supplier, just as the excellent customer service did (way back before the BT days).

The market is now very competitive and PN need to ensure that they don't alienate their customers by losing sight of the things that make them a good supplier. 

History is littered with tech firms that made that mistake 

remmington1

@jab1 

Was not a free add on when I signed up for dial up all them years ago.

I can assure you of that...  😩