Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email system failing today

pvmb
Pro
Fixes: 3

Email system failing today

Seem to be major issues with Plusnet email servers today. I cannot gain access to my Inbox via the usual Plusnet email program. Everything is very slow, I even got an error message when I sent a short email.

Using Squirrel mail I got the following error message:

ERROR: Unknown IMAP response.
Query: FETCH 1:* (FLAGS UID RFC822.SIZE INTERNALDATE BODY.PEEK[HEADER.FIELDS (Date To Cc From Subject X-Priority Importance Priority Content-Type)])
Server responded:

ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
Query: LIST "" "INBOX.Issues"

89 REPLIES 89
rais24

Re: Email system failing today

this problem is not new, i have been getting similar messages for months/years, varies between: server error failed to send fetch command, server error-select- imap server shut down by signal or failed to send u i d copy command. techies dont seem to know how to fix any of it,

pvmb
Pro
Fixes: 3

...Me too. It did appear strikingly and unusually bad today.

Phantom
Dabbler

Also seeing this today (Wed 16/08), Thunderbird or Webmail(.plus.net) can't seem to access my mailbox and are running slow. Using imap.plus.net over SSL/TLS port 993.

TrevorAtNo16
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I'm seeing the same problem, slow response or errors on Mailwasher, Thunderbird and Webmail, Wed 16/8/23, a.m.

Total_Chaos
Rising Star

This has appeared this morning.

Using Thunderbird under IMAP.  It states looking for folders, cannot send, save draft, or view received.

Logged into webmail. First stated that the mail is empty, and then after a period went to refreshing, and after some considerable time showed a few emails from last Friday, today's Wednesday, and then after a while cleared those displayed emails and went back to refreshing.

Dust27
Dabbler

Same here 16 aug 23.

Outlook  - will not sync INBOX,

Squirrel webmail - very slow via mobile but will not load messages via laptop

Advanced webmail - as useless as ever

mikejohnsmith
Grafter

Same here, unable to sync inbox via imap, also unable to access via webmail. Webmail fails by either of two issues, unable to log into the client, or once logged in there is an error message re an imap server. I had been considering that I should move my mail service elsewhere, perhaps this is a sign telling me to get on and do it. Has anyone suggestions for an email service provider.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 425

Has anyone suggestions for an email service provider.

If you need similar functionality to the PN system e.g multiple mailboxes and aliases then https://www.mythic-beasts.com/hosting (£20/yr for the mail only if you pay annually) , obviously you'll need a domain as well if you havent got one (£~7/yr).

If you only need a single mailbox , then there are plenty of other cost effective options...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mikejohnsmith
Grafter

Thanks, will investigate. My domains registered via Google, just had an email that squarespace is purchasing the domain name service and customer accounts from Google!

Broadlands

I have the same problem this morning, 16/08/2023

email client Windows Live Mail (imap) : server not responding

also via Plusnet Webmail : empty mailbox and constantly 'refreshing'

it would be useful to have some form of acknowledgement from Plusnet of their awareness of the problem and an indication of how long to fix it

mikejohnsmith
Grafter

At 10:15, webmail working, but extremely slow, gmail client seems to be syncing with imap, but outlook (imap) reports it is unable to connect with the server

Broadlands

mikejohnsmith , interestingly I just received an email on my phone (gmail, imap) but Windows PC (Livemail) and Webmail still not working , Outlook client on my phone not working either

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 268

Yep - looks like the mice in the email servers wheel need feeding/changing - definitely getting slower and slower.

John
Petevick
Hooked

Linux Thunderbird Imap account taking forever to refresh folders, deleted emails in Inbox keep reappearing. Android FairEmail using the same imap account keeps reporting sync errors and flatly rufuses to sync any folder. Webmail is a waste of time, no folders are displayed at all !!