Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email switched off

FIXED
jandjmp
Hooked

Email switched off

I am switching providers on the 13 December but Plusnet have discontinued my email on the 27 November now I cannot send or receive emails and cannot access my saved emails can any one help?

26 REPLIES 26
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: Email switched off

Did you request that the account be down-graded to email only?  It takes 3-5 working days.

Email only accounts

When your account is cancelled, any additional services you have such as email, web-space, cgi-service, etc. will stop working. If you want to retain your email service after your account is closed, you must advise Plusnet before the account is closed. There used to be a charge for email only accounts, but they are now free of charge.

Resurrecting an account as email only requires manual intervention from both yourself and Plusnet. The initial stage in account resurrection gets the default email address restored. You then need to setup any secondary Plusnet email address(es) yourself, at which point you'll be able to once again send and receive emails from those addresses.

If you have secondary email address(es), after you have recreated those email addresses, you will need to ask that their contents are restored by updating the existing thread or try posting on the generic email restore topic. Please note that these backups are kept for 30 days only.

The process should go something like this...

1. Prior to your account being closed, you must tell Plusnet that after your account is closed you wish to retain the account as email only - contact the Customer Options Team - agents receive few requests for this, so if there are any doubts refer the agent to KBMS article #3349
  2. You need to make a note of all of your Plusnet email address(es) by going to manage my mail at https://plus.net/email
  3. Your account is terminated
  4. Plusnet resurrect the account as email only
  5. Plusnet will restore the default mailbox - you might need to change the name before the @ symbol to what you had before
  6. You recreate any secondary email address(es) and then request that their contents are restored
  7. Plusnet restore the secondary mailbox(es) content

Everything should then work as it did previously, however please note that emails sent to the email address(es) between the account being closed and the email addresses being recreated might...

1. Be returned to the sender as un-routable (no such domain)
  2. Be returned to the sender as undelivered (no such addressee)
  3. All be delivered to the default mailbox if catch-all is enabled

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jandjmp
Hooked

Hi, Thank you for your reply, having the email closed after my contract ends was expected the problem is that the email was closed two weeks before that. Now I cannot get OTP's to change the email on other accounts so I have to call each one to do it 

Plus I have had no chance to save my old emails.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Good point, @Townman , but the OP is not scheduled to move until 13/12 - surely everything should be as normal until then?

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Sorry, I missed the reference to the date.

Is the account still operative?  There have been cases of account termination jumping the gun!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @jandjmp,

I'm very sorry to hear that the account was closed down earlier than expected. I'm afraid that once an account has been closed down, we're not able to restore the mailboxes associated with it. Please accept my deepest apologies for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
jandjmp
Hooked

Thank you for your help.

Plusnet have apologised but that does not help my position I still have the hassle of contacting every one with my old email address and lost all my emails.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Superuser escalation

This topic has been escalated by one of the Superusers; please allow time for Plusnet to respond before commenting further.

Escalation does not imply progressing this matter will be given priority, nor that a different outcome will result.

Reason for escalation:  Review response

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @jandjmp, where a request was made to keep the account as mail only before closure (and we closed it too early) we can raise a request to get the account changed.

I have raised a task for this to be actioned though please note it can take 3-5 working days to be actioned. I'll keep an eye on this for you and let you know once my task has been picked up.

If the account can be restored as mail only, then once done you would need to re-add any mailboxes you had after which point we can request the mail is restored.

I'll keep you updated on this.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Hiya @jandjmp, just an update.

The initial task I raised was rejected by the team but I have since raised a new one pushing back on this due to it being stopped too soon.

I'll let you know once I have any further update but I'm still currently waiting on the new task being picked up.

I'm sorry for the problems this causes in the meantime.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Good Morning @jandjmp, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have this morning received an update from the team that the account is now mail only. Only the default mailbox will be added as part of this and so if it was named something different you'll need to log in to the member centre and amend it. Once done, let us know and we can request to have mail restored for you.

If you had any additional mailboxes that you still need, you will need to add these also and again if you let me know once done, we can request any mail is restored for you.

Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
jandjmp
Hooked

Hi

I have been unable to reply to you until now as not only was my email switched off but my internet access was also switched off! (I was not a happy)

I now have internet with BT and I can access my old PlusNet email's but I am still not receiving any new email's (I have tried sending one to myself from BT).

You have been very helpful but I am not pleased.

jandjmp

jab1
Legend

@jandjmp Do you get any reports from your BT email to say your message to your PN inbox was undelivered?

John
jandjmp
Hooked

Hi, Yes I get unable to deliver message Invalid Recipient

jab1
Legend

Is your mailbox the only one on the account or do you have others? Did you rename the default mailbox?

John