Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email problems

wjhd
Hooked

Email problems

Good morning!

I recently received an email telling me my mailbox was too large.  I logged in online and deleted emails in my inbox which I had already picked up on both my phone and outlook on my PC, thinking this was what was causing the problem.  I emptied the deleted items as well.

Now I have no emails at all in my inbox or on my phone!  I don't understand this as I thought they would stay on my PC and phone and I was just removing them from the server.  I have a lot of emails on my PC, in folders and some archived, but the only ones I could see online were the most recent ones (all the folders online were empty as I have already dealt with them).

I need my latest emails back as some of them are important, I didn't realise this would happen.

I can't find a way to contact plusnet about this (used to be able to open a ticket), so I'm hoping someone can help me please!

Thanks in advance

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Email problems

@wjhd 

There are two ways of managing emails. How did you set yours up?

IMAP

The messages are held on the Plusnet server. Unless you specifically save these to a different folder on your computer the contents of your computer held emails is synchronised with those on the Plusnet server. Therefore if you delete one the other is deleted.

POP3

Messages are downloaded from the Plusnet server to your computer. Depending on how you set your computer email client the message is either deleted from the Plusnet server immediately or after a certain number of days.

Both have advantages and disadvantages. With IMAP you are relying on Plusnet to keep your messages for you. These will be backed up regularly. You can also access the messages from all your devices. This is fine until you fill the mailbox as you have just found out, so you need to regularly keep the email account  tidy, deleting junk as you go.

With POP3 it is your responsibility to back up your emails either on a removable media or a Cloud based service.

If a helpful Plusnet staffer comes along they may be able to temporarily reinstate your messages from a back up so that you can have another go.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

wjhd
Hooked

Thanks, I've always used pop3 in the past but replaced my PC a couple of years ago, maybe I set it up wrong, I will check.

Any idea how to contact plusnet about this, there's a couple of emails I could really do with retrieving...?

Thanks again!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@Gandalf 

Would there by any possibility of obtaining the restoration of this user's mailbox please from a recent back up?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@wjhd wrote:

Thanks, I've always used pop3 in the past but replaced my PC a couple of years ago, maybe I set it up wrong, I will check.

If you have your PC set up as POP3 then all your emails should be there. If the PC is POP3 then I would expect that you are either using webmail on your phone or an IMAP setting.

If so, then it's working exactly right. The messages will be stored on your PC, but as your phone will be synchronised with the Plusnet server they will disappear on your phone if you delete them on the Plusnet server.
If this is the case then all that you need to do to get them back on your phone is to select them on your PC and forward them to yourself.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hello @wjhd

Thanks a lot for reaching out. I've just sent you an email and a Ticket on the account, asking you to confirm which inbox has been affected here. Please respond, either via your online Member Centre or via SMS, then give me a nudge on here.

I've hen raise a task to our NetOps Team to see if we can get these emails restored. No promises though, as emails are backed up on a seven day snapshot, definitely worth a go. Smiley

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
wjhd
Hooked

Thanks, I just responded to the ticket

wjhd
Hooked

Yes, that's what I thought as I thought I had pop3 on my PC and IMAP on my phone, but deleting the emails online has removed them all from both devices so unfortunately I can't just forward them to my phone, otherwise I would!

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Thanks for getting back to us @wjhd. I've reviewed the case and raised the tasks off to our Net Ops Team, who should be back in touch with an update later this week. If you have any further queries or issues that you'd like to raise in the meantime then please don't hesitate to get back in touch and we'll be happy to help out.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team