cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Send mail from iPhone/iPad error - “connection to the outgoing server relay.plus.net failed

jillinspain

Send mail from iPhone/iPad error - “connection to the outgoing server relay.plus.net failed

A few months ago I started seeing this error when trying to send mail from my plusnet account on both my iPhone and iPad. I checked all the settings, and tried the variations on the plusnet site. Nothing seems to make it work.

incoming mail is fine, still getting that.

plusnet support said it was a problem with Apple, but I don’t believe that - there must be loads of people with this setup.

I hadn’t changed the settings on either of the devices when it stopped working, and do not recall getting an OS update.

my outgoing mail server settings are:

Host name: relay.plus.net

Username: my-username

Password: my-password

Use SSL: On

Authentication: Password

Server Port: 25 (I have also tried the other two port numbers plusnet mention in their support article)

Has any one else seen and solved this problem?

Thanks so much in advance!

5 REPLIES 5
Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Send mail from iPhone/iPad error - “connection to the outgoing server relay.plus.net failed

Port 25 with SSL on is never going to work. Try port 587

jillinspain

Re: Send mail from iPhone/iPad error - “connection to the outgoing server relay.plus.net failed

Thanks!

I started with 587 -that was what it had been set up with originally - first with SSL disabled, then enabled. Then I tried 465 with SSL enabled, as recommended in the plusnet support article. As a last resort I tried port 25. Nothing seems to help! I must have something wrongly set up.

https://www.plus.net/help/email-guides/how-to-set-up-plusnet-email

Much appreciate the help!

Champnet
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 11

As a simple check, try port 25 with SSL set to off. 

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Mobile to Email.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for your post @jillinspain and welcome to our Community Forums.

I'm sorry to see you're having issues sending emails.

Can you post up screenshots showing outgoing settings in the iOS mail app?

Just make sure you blur out anything personal like your username or email address when posting the screenshots.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet