cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email only account

GBeetham

Email only account

I requested my account be downgraded to email only on changing provider. Yesterday my plusnet broadband was changed over but the email is not working. I need the 4 mailboxes up and running asap. I ws told this should happen at changeover as I requested it but it has not. Please can this be rectified

Thanks

Gavin

28 REPLIES 28
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Email only account

@GBeetham I don't know who told you that, but they were incorrect. It will take a minimum of three working days for the email element to be changed as it requires the account to be fully closed,, and manual intervention to recreate the new component.

John
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for your post @GBeetham

I can confirm @jab1 is correct. I can see yesterday we've raised a task to our NetOps team to reactivate things as a free email only account. This should be done within 3 working days and when it has been, we'll email you. If you've got an alternative email address, I'd recommend updating your account Here with it. 

Once your account's reactivated, you'll need to go to Manage My Mail at plus.net/email to resetup your email addresses as you had them before, so you can carry on sending & receiving mail. Your emails in the default mailbox will then automatically be restored to a point from when the account was cancelled.

However if someone has tried to send you an email while your email address wasn't working, I'm afraid they would bounce back to the sender. For additional mailboxes we'll need to manually restore those emails if you'd like them back. 

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
GBeetham

Thank you for your prompt response.

I have updated my details with an alternative email address for you to contact me. Sorry it was not explained to me when I requested an email only account that it would take 3 days . I thought I was told it would happen after the account was closed and didn't realise there would be a delay.

Thanks again and I look forward to hearing about it in due course

Gavin

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @GBeetham

No problem, I'm sorry for the delay. Let us know how it goes. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
LoneBee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Hi,

We have decided to upgrade to a BT superfast Broadband Account, largly due to problems we have experienced with internet speeds linked to increased use of Zoom for meetings. I would like, however, to retain my email account. I have read on some posts that this may cost £1.06 /month, although that was quite an old discussion, which I would be happy to pay. It looks like I would need to raise a ticket for that but I am not sure how to do that. The switch over to BT is in progress with new line being installed next week.

Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

jab1
Legend

@LoneBee To retain your email, which is now free, by the way, you need to call Plusnet support and advise them you wish to retain an 'email only' account. I would do this as soon as possible, as waiting until the account is closed down will probably mean you have lost it. When you speak to support, ensure they understand what you mean - some of them are unfamiliar with this provision.

Any issues, post back, please.

John
LoneBee
Rising Star

Thank you John,

I have now contacted plusnet support and the guy I spoke to said he has put a note on my account and the email account should be activated within a few days after switch over; this has now been delayed until 31st December so I have been advised that emails should be back in operation by 4th January. I will post back if there are any problems.

Thank you again

jab1
Legend

Cheers, and please keep us informed. Also post back just after the switch, to ensure the instructions have been followed - I am aware of some cases of the change-over failing.

Note - I would suggest, from personal experience, that you change your contact email to a non-Plusnet one just before the switch, as only your default mailbox is restored initially - you need to recreate any additional ones when you are advised the email only account is live, and if you don't have a question raised to cover the switch, email is the only contact medium you have.

John
LoneBee
Rising Star

Thank you and understood regarding changing my contact email before the switch, which I guess I can do through the Account details on the Member Centre - I have a gmail address that I can use. I will also post here again immediately before the switch as you suggest.

I note that you say that only the default mailbox is restored initially and that I will need to recreate the others which raises a concern as to whether I may loose mail in the other mail accounts, I currently have 3 active email addresses on my account. Is there any advice on how to avoid this poitentially happening?

jab1
Legend

Regarding the extra mailboxes, providing you recreate them as soon as you are advised that the mail-only account has been created, you should only potentially lose about 1 or 2 days mail, but I cannot now remember what I did.

I'll tag the wizard ( @Gandalf ) on this and see what he recommends.

John
LoneBee
Rising Star

Thank you for referring it for additional advice. I will wait to see if Gandalf has any further suggestions.

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @LoneBee, I'm glad to see that things have been set in motion on this request. Just give us a shout if there are any issues and we'll be more than happy to take a look into things with you Smiley

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
LoneBee
Rising Star

I have successfully logged in to my plusnet mail only account and was immediately directed to to the email set up page. I have set up the 3 email addresses using the original passwords. I and received the emails to my non-plusnet address confirming that they have been set up one said it would be 4 hours before they were ready the other 2 said 30mins.

I have waited 4.5 hours but am getting server errors when trying to send/receive in Outlook and all my mail in the 3 mailboxes has disappeared from Outlook and my iPhone. I have checked the the set up pages and see the outgoing server is showing as stmp.plus.net instead of relay.plus.net. I have tried to rectify this but am not able to save the changes because the connection to the imap server is being dropped. I also keep getting the pop ups about the passwords suggesting they are not being recognised. I have deleted one of the mailboxes from outlook and tried to set it up again from scratch but am not getting past we are getting things ready in the set up wizard. I can log on to webmail but all my old mail has disappeared from there as well, the mail was on outlook but has now disappeared from there too.

Any advice/help would be gratefully received.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @LoneBee, thanks for getting back to us. I am sorry that you are currently without your emails.

It looks like the task raised still hasn't been picked up to change to account to mail only yet, likely the New Year and bank holiday has caused a delay to this being picked up.

As the mailboxes were deleted, we will need to request that the mail is restored to each mailbox though I'm unsure if we need to wait until the task has been picked up and account change has occurred before this can be requested.

It also looks like after checking the emails we have sent (on the back of mailboxes being deleted or added) some of the mailboxes that have been re-added don't have the same name as any of the mailboxes that show as being deleted. For us to be able to restore mail for a mailbox, a mailbox of the same name would have had to exist before the closure. Can you please just confirm?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team