Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Email Rejected as Spam

ashburnhamins
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Email Rejected as Spam

My broadband is with Plusnet but I send my emails via Mailjet servers using Outlook 2013 on my PC. Everything is setup correctly and 99.9% of outgoing emails are fine but every now and then I receive a rejected email saying Policy Issue (SPAM). This happens a few times a week and is always on hotmail email addresses.

I have contacted Mailjet but they say the problem is with my ISP (Plusnet) and told me that the error code received was 550 and that the emails sent to my recipients were blocked by my ISP.

The emails sent are normal transactional emails to single addresses so I am not sure why they are being blocked. Can anyone provide assistance or advice on this please.

10 REPLIES 10
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: Email Rejected as Spam

Hi @ashburnhamins, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've had toruble when trying to send some emails recently. It sounds like as you're seeing the error code 550 that our spam filter may be behind these emails not going through.
I can see when checking https://check.spamhaus.org/ that your IP address looks to be being checked through the spam filter and if you go ahead and pop in IP address you can see why we use a spam filter and what can be done to allow email going through.

Essentially, the filter is there so customers don't send unsolicited emails through their own mail servers. If however you use our outbound servers then I beleive this should stop the sending issues you're seeing.

Steps on how to do this can be seen here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Email/How-to-get-your-e-mails-through-a-e-mail-client/td-p/1598809

I hope this helps.

ashburnhamins
Dabbler

Thanks for the reply @BD 

I am aware of how to use the Plusnet email servers however, we would like to continue to use the Mailjet mail servers due to the functionality and reporting it gives us. We do not send mailshots or bulk emails to multiple users, just standard transactional emails to our customers. It says our ISP is responsible for the Policy Block List so are you able to delist our IP address. Alternatively, can you advise on how to improve the deliverability of these emails while still using the mailjet service?

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Do other people use Mailjet? It’s possible the domain has ended up in the spam filter we use if recipients don’t want emails that they’re sending and there’s no obvious way to ‘opt out’ so they’d mark as spam instead.

Also we list all our IPs in Spamhaus PBL unless you’re on a business static IP. Do you have a business account?

As far as I’m aware you should be able to use your own mail server while using relay.plus.net as a ‘smarthost’.

We could, with a copy of the full headers in .EML format of an email you’re trying to send, raise a task to our NetOps team to take a closer look at the issue.

This could involve our email suppliers having to reset the spam filter for the domain although this wouldn’t fix the root cause into stopping emails from flagging as spam.

I’d personally start with the smarthost idea and if you have issues, drop one of us staffers from Here a private message with the headers. Smiley

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
ashburnhamins
Dabbler

Thanks @Anoush 

Yes, we are on a business account with a business static IP. Does this help with anything you can do?

If not, I will have a look into the smarthost idea.

Thanks for your help.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to me @ashburnhamins 

Could you private message me the full headers? 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ashburnhamins
Dabbler

Thanks @Gandalf PM sent.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Cheers I’ll message you back shortly 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @ashburnhamins 

Our NetOps team have looked into this and can't see any issues our end. Having said that, they've asked if you get a bounce-back from the emails. If that's the case, could you reply to the ticket I've logged on your account Here with the bounce?

I'm out of the office tomorrow so I'll check back Friday but if you post back or message me, one of my colleagues should be able to pick this up for you in my absence and pass further information onto NetOps.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
4hills

Hi,

Picked up on this thread as my emails to plus.net friends are getting rejected:

host mx.avasin.plus.net [212.159.8.200]

SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:

552 Spam Message Rejected

Only affects plus.net addresses.  Can send a message with just "test" in it (no attachment or URLs) still bounces.  Can reply to a plus.net mail, still bounces.  Have been in touch with my ISP.  My email address is clean (best credentials on the web test).

As this is arriving at plus.net ( host mx.avasin.plus.net I assume is their gateway) it is getting out of my domain / ISP etc.

So plus.net what can I / you / my friends do to carry on receiving my emails (which they were until about a month ago)

Thanks, Chris

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @4hills, thanks for getting in touch. I am sorry for the issues that you are having with your emails.

Can you pop us over a PM with the emails headers please?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team