Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Duplicate email (Plusnet MX issue?)

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Duplicate email (Plusnet MX issue?)

@bobpullen re the accounts:

* the forwarder with the issue is a username+mailbox mailbox, the other forwarder on the same domain is the top level username mailbox.

* the other one I referred to (not on 20i) has one forwarder to icloud (apple) and one to a username+mailbox mailbox.

(username in all examples above being my PN account).

I can DM the specifics to you if you want.

starfry
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@bobpullen I spoke with 20i today

"In the logs we can see "Remote host closed connection in response to end of data" - this is the important part. The email being sent by the same forward relay server multiple times because of that message. This error indicates it was successful in reaching them but you are disconnecting us. After this, the message is re queued to try again and will keep trying until they return a 250 code which is a successful message with no issues. We can't do anything this side as you are disconnecting us"

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Bob is away for a couple of weeks, so he might not respond quickly.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

semitone440
Dabbler

I'm also receiving triplicate emails from one specific sender, corresponding to the same pattern of two together with a third following later. The sender's domain is hosted by Namesco and, having checked their logs, their support team reports that "even though the receiving server at mx.core.plus.net told us it failed it actually completed tricking our server to send it again".

I also have spam filtering disabled and my own domain hosted by Plusnet.

To test the theory that email redirection might be involved, I asked the sender to address emails to my default mailbox@myuserid.plus.com, which would presumably take my domain and any email redirection out of the loop. However, it has made no difference as the triplicate emails still keep arriving.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Is the sender also with Namesco?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

semitone440
Dabbler

The sender's email headers show that they are sent from smtp.hosts.co.uk which I gather is part of Namesco.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

So potentially the exact same issue - sender's side?

semitone440
Dabbler

Not as far as I know. Just to clarify, the sender is with Namesco and I'm with Plusnet and it's only emails from him to me that are affected. He reported the problem to Namesco and forwarded their reply on to me.