cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Domain name' Email problems with Outlook 365 after password change

benchmark

'Domain name' Email problems with Outlook 365 after password change

Hi

I have been having trouble with sending and receiving emails using Outlook since last week.  Firstly I was getting a 'certificate' message that I could just click 'Yes' to... but then I thought it was a good idea to change my password on the Plusnet account.  Now I am unable to get emails to the 'domain name' email account.  This has an identity set up in the webmail but I can't see where there might be an option to change the password on the domain, which I feel might be the problem now...  as I am getting lots of error messages when trying to refresh my inbox in Outlook.

I've tried to match the settings I found on the help pages but I feel I have made matters worse and I am at the end of my tether! Now I get a request for username and password for mail.domainname.co.uk where the User Name is Plusnetname+info.  I then get various other requests for credentials for relay.plus.net.  I've been putting the new password into this to no avail.  I'm getting 'error 0x800CC92 - your email server rejected your login. Verify your user name and password for this account in Account Settings.'  I've attached a couple of screenshots of the settings.

The only place that IS receiving emails from the domain name email is an iphone using the Mail app.

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: 'Domain name' Email problems with Outlook 365 after password change

@benchmark 

This is probably the same problem as I had a bit back after an Office update. Go to Account Settings/Server Settings where the appropriate fields now reside..

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hey @benchmark, I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing this issue. Have you had the chance to give @Baldrick1's suggestion a go yet and if so, has it successfully resolved the issue?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
benchmark

Hi @Baldrick1, Unfortunately this hasn't helped.  I had tried the same thing already - and just tried it again to be sure.  I used the settings for POP3 that are suggested on the website. I just get the attached error message.  This is what led me to believe it's an issue with the domain email possibly.

benchmark

Hi @TheMightyAJ , please see my reply to @Baldrick1 - unfortunately his 'cunning plan' hasn't helped!  Thanks to you both anyway - I do have an open ticket with Plusnet now but I was hoping someone here might be able to help me in the meantime.

All the best!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

The screen grabs in the OP indicate that this is configured with Outlook "guess" the server names.

1. POP should be mail.plus.net Port 995 with SSL/TLS
  2. SMTP should be relay.plus.net Port 587 with STARTTLS

Port 465 is deprecated.

Use of other server names might work, but will cause encryption certificate validation errors.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

benchmark

Hi @Townman and thanks for your reply.  I managed with a lot of fudging to make all three accounts on the system work.  The only one still asking for a password (but still working) is the one for name@domainname.co.uk.  The POP and SMTP settings for that one are as follows:

POP: 

Username: [plusnetname]'+'[part of email address before the @ sign]

Server:  mail.domainname.co.uk

Port 110 

No encryption/authentication

SMTP:

smtp.plus.net

Port 465

Encryption method SSL/TLS

Authentication boxes unchecked

When I click OK on the server settings I get the 'Something went wrong' message.

I tried amending the settings to all the ones you suggested (one by one, just to make sure) and unfortunately none have worked.  

I still feel that this is a 'password on the domain name' related issue but have heard nothing from Plusnet and have not been looking at the issue this week.  Does anyone know how to change the password on the domain name that we have through Plusnet?

Thanks so much!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

If your domain name is hosted by Plusnet then your domain name.co.uk is mapped onto youraccountname.plus.com

Thus for you@yourdomainnane.co.uk the servers are…

POP3 mail.plus.net
IMAP imap.plus.net
SMTP relay.plus.net PORT 587 with STARTTLS

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.