cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compensation from Plusnet for email outage?!

MFredericks
Dabbler

Re: Compensation from Plusnet for email outage?!

I can't see it advertised anywhere - even in the business plans?

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Neither can I, but I intentionally haven't looked that deeply - don't want them thinking I want to switch back.😀

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hope you're all well.

Customers should now be able to log in their Plusnet email, however they may experience a delay when sending and receiving emails. We’re working to fix this as quickly as possible and we’re sorry for the inconvenience caused. Plusnet broadband and mobile services are not affected

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
jjlothin
Grafter

Well, it's 8 hours since your post - and I can't send Plusnet email still! Plus I know for sure that at least one email I should have received yesterday hasn't got through, as well as one I should have received this morning.

Many thanks to everyone for their comments on this thread. I'm seriously considering jumping ship!

Batphone
Rising Star

Yes, was working earlier today, but it seems down again. Perhaps PlusNET can enlighten us as to what is going on?

H2a
Dabbler

Hope you're all well.

Customers should now be able to log in their Plusnet email, however they may experience a delay when sending and receiving emails. We’re working to fix this as quickly as possible and we’re sorry for the inconvenience caused. Plusnet broadband and mobile services are not affected

"However you may experience a delay"...

Plusnet, we don't do understatements, but if we did, we'd prabably be the finest in the world

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Evening all!

Most customers should now be able to log in their Plusnet email, however they may experience a delay when sending and receiving emails. Plusnet emails can be accessed using an email client as normal.

We’re working to fix this as quickly as possible and some of this work will be competed overnight to reduce further disruption. Future updates can be tracked here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Service-Information/Plusnet-email-login/m-p/1838261#M355

We’re sorry for the inconvenience caused.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
pwberry
Dabbler

No.  It's still broken.    Webmail not working, email clients can't send,   dribbles of incoming mails in a random sequence. 

Expressions like "some customers" and "most customers" are unhelpful and evasive,  and are just trashing confidence. . 

quelquod
Pro
Fixes: 1

I really don’t know why staff members send out messages like this. I still can’t send anything, just times out. My email to myself from an Outlook account took over 4 hours to arrive and one from a Gmail account sent at the same time still hasn’t appeared. Emails from PayPal (normally within seconds of a transaction) haven’t arrived after over an hour. My ‘sent’ and ‘trash’ IMAP folders show empty though I know they shouldn’t be. The system is clearly not working and it’s bound to be obvious to the support guys so why on earth tell us it’s fine?

Democracy - 3 wolves and a lamb voting about what to have for lunch!
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for getting back to us.

Our team are working as hard as they can to get this problem resolved. Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience this continues to cause.

Adam
DigbyChicken
Dabbler

Still not remotely working as it should - BlackBerry/Android (IMAP seemingly working, but desktop client (Outlook using POP) hasn't downloaded a single email since Tuesday night. Your own webmail client is still not working for me.

(Access to my domain/website was restored sometime yesterday. I'm a former madasafish customer (long before that, freenetname) who was 'ported over' to Plusnet some years back.)

jjlothin
Grafter

I'm sorry, "Adam", but apologies just don't cut it!

Whilst I have received emails sent in the past couple of days now, it's still not possible for me to send from Outlook. (Thank god I also have a gmail address set up there.)

I'd have a little more respect for Plusnet Help cut&paste responses if we were given some information at least about what's been going on, and when - or if - it's likely to be fixed.

I feel sorry for Plusnet workers who are at the customer coalface, but I really wish they'd do something other than hone their techniques for trashing consumer confidence.

headland

Adam

I would appreciate at least SOME information.

Outlook mail is arriving but I still can't send

WebMail is also broken, awfully slow and can't send

Please let me know what has caused this and a realistic timescale for fixing it and what compensation you will be offering your customers. I will be referring this to Ofcom if I don't get a satisfactory response.

Regards

Tim

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@headland I am not Plusnet staff, so can possibly be a little less diplomatic.

The issue was caused by a problem within the system (a data centre problem to be more precise), a timescale on a subject like this is damn hard to guesstimate - many factors involved, and I can't see how 'compensation' can be paid - unless you have a sensible suggestion?

John
adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hello @headland

Thanks for your response. Large companies such as ourselves will most likely not be making the specific source of the issue public knowledge, likewise, when the issue is resolved, the exact methods used to fix the issue, will also not be made public knowledge. The timescales for further updates, which are in the public domain, are clearly stated on our Service Status page.

In regards to compensation, nothing has been made official yet, though my personal perspective on this is that your Email service is a free add-on which comes alongside a residential / business Home Phone and Broadband account. You're not compelled to use it, and many of our customers choose not to. While I understand the inconvenience that losing access to your email account can, and has clearly caused, you have not paid for the service that you're currently unable to use.

Plusnet residential accounts also cannot compensate for any business losses during a technical outage with their broadband service, so we wouldn't do so in this scenario.

Again, nothing has been made official yet, and things can change, the above is my perspective on the matter as it stands.

Adam