cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing password

Grafter

Changing password

Hi, in the light of online security being publicised yet again, I have tried to change my webmail password.  It may be obvious where I click to do this, but I have attempted to trigger 'forgotten your password?' by putting in wrong password three times, to no avail.  I 'asked Jess' and was given link which took me back to Plusnet login page without a clear indication of where to change password.  On one occasion I managed to get into correct page and attempted numerous times to change password.  I kept receiving 'token validation failed' even though I was using correct number and variation of letters and symbols and my router was connected to the internet.  In desperation I clicked on 'forgotten your password' and was asked to check email for password reminder - would that be the email I shouldn't be able to get into because I had forgotten my password?  My password was then clearly displayed.  Is it me?  I was advised to use the 'password tool' - the only tool I could find was a postcode finder! 
17 REPLIES 17
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Changing password

Login to the the Member Centre, Select Email Settings and then click 'Manage My Email'.
Guide to Manage my mail is here http://www.plus.net/support/email/mmm_overview.shtml#mailboxes but basically from the mailboxes tab you select the mailbox , click edit and that will allow the password to be changed.
Hope that helps 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The previous reply covers additional mailboxes (where you will have entered accountname+mailboxname as the username). To change the password for the default mailbox (just accountname entered as username) you need to change your account password in the Member Centre
Note that changing the latter affects everything, including the broadband password used in your router.
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Good point spraxyt, I hadn't considered changing the default mailbox pw. Embarrassed

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Grafter

Sorry but that didn't really help me - surely I can change my webmail (email) login in a much more straightforward way without involving the router?  Almost every time I need to change my password for anything else computerised, there is either a message that says 'Have you fogotten your password' then offers me a link where I can change my password there and then.  PlusNet?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If it's the main mailbox password, then unfortunately the only way of doing this is by changing the account password.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW it might be worth creating a new mailbox to use as your own inbox, for that exact reason.
You can then configure "catch all" to point all email to the new mailbox. This gives you an email password that is independent of the account password.
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Rather than start a new thread about exactly the same subject I'll join this one.
I need to change my account password but I keep getting asked to ensure my router's switched on & connected to the internet (which it is) but the new password isn't stored & the old password keeps working.
How do I sort this please?
P.S. I need to get this done ASAP as my existing password may not be secure so any quick replies would be appreciated.
Grafter

I'm going round in circles trying to change my password!  I have reached the Change Your Password page a couple of times, put in my old password then my new password twice, as instructed.  I just receive 'Token validation failed' as a response each time.  What exactly does that mean?
caravanj
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Yes indeed. A solution from Plusnet would be good.
The change password instructions haven't worked for me & I really need to change it  but at least if my account gets compromised I'll be able to show  that I asked for help & didn't get any.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Thanks for flagging this up, we're investigating internally.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Grafter

Hi Chris/Plusnet,  any update on internal investigation into changing password?  I have tried again this morning but still getting Token Validation Failed.  This does not bode well considering TalkTalk calamity.
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

There is no need to worry, the token validation message is nothing to do with you/us being hacked.
A fix is due to go out Wednesday night so should be fine and working for you Thursday.
Grafter

Thank you Scott, just getting a little anxious the longer it was taking Smiley
ScottStorey
Pro
Fixes: 1

Completely understand you being anxious and wanting to update passwords with all the news at the moment with talk talk and the house of commons inquest. The call centre are still able to update your password for you if you want.