Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing from POP to IMAP

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

Changing from POP to IMAP

I am having problems receiving and sending my PN email on my mobile phone if away from my home WiFi network; it works perfectly at home.

I can select to receive email, and it will sit on "connecting" for hours if I let it. Same thing happens if I write and send an email, it will sit in connecting, as I get in range of my home WiFi the message will be sent.

Phone is an iPhone 6S, Vodafone is the iPhone service provider.

I've had Vodafone and Apple tech departments looking into this, apart at one time Vodafone claiming there's a known bug in iOS, Apple tech said politely no there isn't. However, when looked at sensibly both said it was a PN account settings issue.

I called PN (and got through within 3 minutes) after explaining my problem, I was asked for my account protocol; its Pop3, and was told to change it to IMAP. I asked how that was done, and was told its dead easy just look in the Thunderbird account settings and change it there. You can't.

So, how do I change from Pop3 to IMAP, if PN say its so easy.  

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES 3
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Re: Changing from POP to IMAP

Hi,

You cannot change POP3 to IMAP as such, but you can set up a IMAP configured account instead of or alongside the POP3 one.

There is a problem with iPhone / iPad email account operation. Sometimes the configurations get damaged and the only way to fix is to scrap them and start again.

Both incoming and outgoing servers should be configured to use authentication. Allow iOS to try without ssl.

Incoming server is imap.plus.net
Outgoing relay.plus.net - use port 587

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

petlew
Pro
Fixes: 2

I only use the generic iOS "Mail" app for email. Both Apple and Vodafone asked me if I had a Gmail account, I haven't. Neither elaborated why they asked.

If I were to open a Gmail account on the iPhone, can I configure this to use my PN mail address? If I could, would it help my problem?

Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

No you do not need more technical complications. Just use the native iPhone / iPad email application.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.