Did you mean: 

Cannot send to gmail addresses

FIXED
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 437

Re: Cannot send to gmail addresses

@aimless101  you have a space in 'please-add -spf-records' between the add and the -spf , remove it and try again.

You can check if your domain has an spf record by going to https://mxtoolbox.com/ , enter your domain and click the MX lookup button. When it gets the results , use the dropdown arrow now there on the button, select SPF record lookup and click. That should return the SPF recrod if you have one.

Note it can take up to 6 hrs from adding the MX 999999 record

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aimless101
Hooked

Aw thanks for getting back so quick

no spaces in the actual record 

Screenshot 2024-08-03 at 16.02.23.png

here is the spf record gobbledygook to me I'm afraid 

im testing sending mail as googlemail to see if that works!!

cheers

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@aimless101 that's not the SPF record , its the MX record, click the 'spf lookup' link and post the results of that

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aimless101
Hooked

right just shows what a numpty I am - here it is which as there is no records suggests why im having a problem - legacy from madasafish perhaps  😁

Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 11.33.39.png

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 165

@aimless101 wrote:

don't understand all this tech gobbledy [-Censored-]

have managed to put in mx 999999 please-add -spf-records but it has made no difference 

its getting frustrating not being able to forward or send to gmail accounts 

Can you help me simply in real layman's terms 

Thanks in advance

It is not gobbledy anything - its standard technical configuration and like it or not, you are playing with technology which you do need to have some knowledge of.

Please check that the entry looks exactly like this...

Screenshot 2023-01-25 155752.png

For the avoidance of doubt leave the left side blank, exactly as shown. It might take Plusnet's systems up to 6 hours to generate the SPF record.

No abbreviations, no addition spaces within or at the end of the Type or right field.

Did you wait six hours before attempting to send again or check MX tools.

Sending to fred@googlemail.com rather than fred@gmail.com or send from you@accountname.plus.com is not likely to encounter Gmail's stumbling blocks for their free users.  Gmail is the problem here, arising for their imposition of optional rule sets, which do not apply to paid for users.  Oddly they do not apply the same rules to delivery to the same mailbox via the googlemail form of the address.  Figure that one out!

49Howarth
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

I'm also having problems sending sending emails to some gmail addresses. (see attached PDF)

I'm using Outlook 2016 for emails and have seen the 'fix' on this forum, but it's too complex for my basic IT knowledge.

Any solutions or options welcome !

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@49Howarth from that attachment, it doesnt look like you are sending email via the Plusnet server (relay.plus.net).

What do you have set as the outgoing (SMTP) server in you email client ?

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@MisterW 

550-5.7.26 SPF [arh228.plus.com] with ip: [173.231.241.25] = did not pass

Apparently se6d-iad1.servconfig.com

PS C:\Users\kevin> ping -a 173.231.241.25

Pinging se6d-iad1.servconfig.com [173.231.241.25] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 173.231.241.25: bytes=32 time=93ms TTL=53
Reply from 173.231.241.25: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=53
Reply from 173.231.241.25: bytes=32 time=91ms TTL=53
Reply from 173.231.241.25: bytes=32 time=92ms TTL=53

And therefore nothing to do with Plusnet's email servers / configuration.

@49Howarth sees the usual 'solutions' as "too complicated" ... yet their email client seems to have a complicated configuration, in using a third party SMTP server.

All *.plus.com email addresses (when sent via relay.plus.net) have DKIM configured ... which would not cause the reported issue from Gmail.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Apparently se6d-iad1.servconfig.com

Exactly! hence my question as to what @49Howarth has configured as the outgoing server

49Howarth
Dabbler

Setting.jpg

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

@49Howarth Strange, because the IP address reported in your attachment is not a Plusnet mail server. If your mail is going out via the Plusnet server then it will automatically be DKIM signed

I suggest you try changing your outgoing server settings to use port 587 and encryption method STARTTLS

You might also check the box 'my outgoing (SMTP) server requires authentication' and use the same username/password that you use for the incoming server.

Let us know if that makes a difference

49Howarth
Dabbler

Many thanks Mister W,

Those changes you suggested appear to have fixed the problem.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Whilst I'm glad that seems to have fixed it, I still don't understand where the IP 173.231.241.25 is coming from in the gmail bounce

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 23

Was the email address that the email was sent to a gmail address, or has there been some poor forwarding happening?  The email bounce is coming from Mailer-Daemon@se6-iad1.servconfig.com.

I wonder if you've sent the email to some address hosted on servconfig.com which has forward it to a gmail address.  Gmail has then rejected it as the forwarding has screwed up the headers, which servconfig.com has reported on.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

@pjmarsh

Good call. If there is an intermediate service forwarding mail without RSR then SPF validation will fail.

All other things being equal, unauthenticated access to the SMTP server will not help with the anti spam measures.