Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blacklisted PlusNet Subnet 195.166.150.0/24

FIXED
duncanmackay
Dabbler

Re: Blacklisted PlusNet Subnet 195.166.150.0/24

Thanks for the messages guys, been away for a few days,

To avoid further misunderstanding, my domain is 'plusplus.uk' - nothing to do with plusnet, but the similarity has caused confusion understanding my original report.

So, to clarify, yes, I am running a mail server. It's all set-up with reverse dns, spf, dkim, and works fine with the big boys like Microsoft and Google. I was content (as far as you can be) with an earlier response from an experienced poster that there was little that could be done if some email blacklist maintainer stuck a range of IPs on their blacklist.

To this date, the UCEPROTECT L2/L3 list still lists my subnet 195.166.150/24

See https://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php?ipr=195.166.150.255

There is a link to whitelist my IP address, which leads to a page indicating that it can be whitelisted - but for a fee (of course.)

I don't think there's much that can be done about it (not having money to burn), and this one blacklisting doesn't seem to have impacted the performance of my email server.

I will keep an eye out, par for the course.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Fix

@duncanmackay wrote:

So, to clarify, yes, I am running a mail server. It's all set-up with reverse dns, spf, dkim, and works fine with the big boys like Microsoft and Google. I was content (as far as you can be) with an earlier response from an experienced poster that there was little that could be done if some email blacklist maintainer stuck a range of IPs on their blacklist.

That clarifies a great deal.  To be clear you WILL FALL FOUL of PBL filters.  Users are not supposed do direct email submission from their own mail servers into the internet on dynamic IP addresses.  If that is what you want to do, you must use smart relay via relay.plus.net - see Smart host - Wikipedia

The acquisition of a static IP address (£5 one off charge) might eliminate this issue - @bobpullen will know for sure!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

duncanmackay
Dabbler

It's a static IP address already - so, for the record, no, that doesn't make a difference.

It's just on that one list, and it's not actually affecting mail delivery.

As Bob said, I'll have to live with it. I've closed this one off - thanks folks.

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@bobpullen wrote:

@pvmb wrote:

For plusnet.com "No SPF record found"

Why are you searching SPF records for 'plusnet.com'? Where does plusnet.com come into the equation?

Because "plusnet.com" is the domain my rejected email came from! (And THEIR suggested explanation was "Possible SPAM")

My best guess is their email server is expecting <user>@<known domain name> and they are getting <user>@<account name>.plusnet.com and are not recognising/rejecting the <account name> sub domain.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@pvmb wrote:

My best guess is their email server is expecting <user>@<known domain name> and they are getting <user>@<account name>.plusnet.com and are not recognising/rejecting the <account name> sub domain.

<user>@<account name>.plusnet.com is not a valid email address.

The correct format is <user>@<account name>.plus.com

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵