cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Archived emails

peterbarker
Grafter

Archived emails

Do PlusNet archive emails?  I am thinking about a message that I downloaded but somehow lost after download. 
Maybe I deleted it in error? 
Anyway is it gone. 
Is there anyway of getting a second copy of an email from PlusNet once I have downloaded it ?
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Archived emails

Do you mean an email that Plusnet have sent to you or one that a third party sent to your Plusnet email address?
The former is likely to be stored under a ticket/service notice on your account.  Smiley
In the latter case, if you've deleted it you might find it in your email client's Deleted Items folder. But if you've cleared that out almost certainly it has now gone. Sad
David
peterbarker
Grafter

A important message, sent to my PlusNet email address by a third party.
The real culprit is my Windows Mobile Phone which downloads messages, but does not leave copies on the server. 
There is a synch process for Windows Mobile Phones, which should put a copy of emails into your PC Outlook and Windows Live/ Outlook.com
Unfortunately, this process is not 100% reliable.  Some messages not only never make it to the PC and Windows Live/Outlook.com but also disappear from the phone.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

It's not much help getting the deleted email back, but you would be better using IMAP on all your devices rather than POP.  That way all your mail is stored on the server (until you delete it).
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

peterbarker
Grafter

Thanks for suggestion.
Following your post, I tried IMAP. 
Yes,  I can download a message from the PlusNet server to my Windows Phone.  A copy of the message remains on the server waiting to be downloaded to my PC.
However, if I delete the message from my Windows Phone it gets deleted off the server and then cannot then be downloaded to the PC. 
Most unfortunately, the deleted message also completely disappears everywhere.  Not in the trash folders in the phone, on-line at PlusNet or anywhere, so I don't think IMAP helps with the problem I have been having . 
i.e. it is just too easy to lose a message and be unable to recover it.
Unless there is some setting I am missing?
kmilburn
Grafter

When you're using IMAP,  the server is the master store of the information,  by deleting the message on the phone it removes it from the server,  and no other client will be able to view it.
Ideally,  you need to setup all your clients on each device you want to access the account to use IMAP. In addition,  you need to configure each client to store its sent mail and delete items on the server too (some default to local storage for this).  By using IMAP,  you can also use Plusnets webmail in the same manner.
Ultimately when using IMAP,  unlike POP, you need to remeber that what you do in one client will affect all other clients.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

If in general you take the attitude that if you delete it, it is gone, you will not go far wrong.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.