cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Address book in Thunderbird

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Address book in Thunderbird

I have suffered a complete terminal melt down of my mainly used laptop, whilst I have backed-up most things, the address book in Thunderbird wasn't.
In the old laptop addressees would automatically add themselves to the books, but on this new computer its not happening. Can you point me in the right direction to switch this facility on.
Also the spellchecker is not working, although it is in this post using Firefox. (I don't think its working in Word either but the grammar check is)
As a matter of interest, all my troubles - and I was having a lot of them - with the ruined computer followed the upgrade to Windows 10. I am resisting the Microsoft offers to upgrade on this Windows 7 machine.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 24

Re: Address book in Thunderbird

A few years ago I had to get emails out of Thunderbird and into Outlook for a client.  It was such a struggle that I have never used or recommended Thunderbird since.  But now I come to think of it, the same may be true of Outlook now because you used to be able to convert Outlook emails to Outlook Express and thence to any other email client.     
Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

I use Thunderbird on Mac but I assume the process is the same.
Select Tools > Account Settings.
Pick the account in question then select the 'Composition & Addressing' entry. Click 'Global Addressing Preferences', then 'Addressing' if it's not already selected and check the 'Automatically add outgoing email addressed to my:'
Using the same dialog as above select the 'Spelling' option and you can enable and or install the dictionary of choice.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Thanks Mook. I could quite do that to start with,  the Thunderbird on this PC hasn't been updated for ages and was running v15 or thereabouts. Once updated to v38 all was fine and fixed.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.