Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

another oddity

rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

another oddity

noticed this a few days ago , but i still see this ?

Capture.JPG

click on unread posts and i get this , even though i read it before so unread posts should be 0 ?Huh

Capture 1.JPG

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
15 REPLIES 15
jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 81

Re: another oddity

Seems odd. The post you have highlighted doesn't have the [new] status next to it either.

Did you try the thread options and marking the topic as read to clear it? Might be linked to the bug I am having investigated surrounding the unread counter.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@jaread83 yes marking as all read has removed it , but i thought it should be auto once it had been read ?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It should behave that way, yes. Weird how the post you had highlighted did not have the [new] flag. So I suspect a gremlin related to the unread bug.

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

Unfortunately the Lithium Gremlins are Growing Roll_eyes

rongtw
Seasoned Hero

@jaread83 Huh  well its come back today as a new post  Crazy2  and yes i cleared the browser Cache  

Capture.JPG

Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the same notice but my view is different as you can see from the attached. When browsing the unread messages this item didn’t appear in any of the pages.

My View

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Add me to the list,  I also saw this yesterday.

Reluctantly reverted to "Mark all posts in Community read"  once I've had a look at the boards I regularly follow.  Not ideal as it is easy to just miss otherwise interesting posts.

M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I have been toying with the idea of including a link to clear a specific board or category with a link next to the unread post links. Is this something you guys would be interested in? The only issue is that the clearing of unread items requires a token ID which isn't exposed on the forum page. Without the token ID, the page errors saying you need the ID which is specific to your user/session. When I asked about obtaining the unique token ID via API I was told it couldn't be done.

But saying that, I am willing to try and add something in the future if there is enough interest...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry @jaread83, but your treating the symptom and not the cause, this needs to be properly addressed by Lithium.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is getting stranger and stranger by the hour, have a look at this:

Weirdness

Which is a neat trick considering I read the thread in order to reply, then I see this! What is going on?

jaread83
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Yes, I realise that I am trying to treat the symptom but that is simply because I am unable to do anything further than adding a bit of javascript or CSS in this case. This is all code that is in the hand of Lithium and I have no control over how the system works and I cannot change anything in the core. I simply do not have access to any of that.

If I could, I would be pulling up my sleeves and getting into the nitty gritty of it all to find out whats going on. I am no stranger to database management and backend code but all I got is access to the frontend and an API which is of no use to me when looking at something like this.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is the point I was trying to make @jaread83, I’d think your time was better spent doing other stuff than trying to implement a pseudo fix to something that you admit you can’t really fix correctly. This should be addressed by Lithium not by you.

If they need more information to track this down then find out what it is and if we can help provide it I’m sure it will be forthcoming.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

@jaread83 wrote:
I have been toying with the idea of including a link to clear a specific board or category with a link next to the unread post links. Is this something you guys would be interested in?

If we split this suggestion into two components, then I have differing opinions.

• As a way to hide or minimise the effects of this current bug then I'm with @Anonymous and definitely agin it!  Before too long the list of 'kludges' will overwhelm any attempts to keep the Forum stable.  Refer back to the previous two instances of the Forum.
  • If we take it as a possible new feature then I'm definitely pro the idea.  Many boards I simply do not read E.g. Phone; Mobile so the ability to clear the Unread count would make the interface cleaner (IMO).

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MauriceC
Resting Legend

Getting tedious now!   The attached screen shot shows a count of 1 unread  in 'Latest plusnet News', it was 0 when I made my earlier post and has been 0 or 1 at least twice during the day (that I've observed).  Each time I've checked and not found a post and I've not made any attempts to mark posts as 'read'.  Yet!!!Quality of service.jpg